A1000 mod doable?

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear All,

Its not like i have too much time on my hands, but this silly brain of mine sees modding oppertunities all the time.
Luckily lack of funds stops me from getting the stuf for fulfilling -all- of those plans :(
Now i have this A1000...beautifull case, yet a bit yellow.
Irritates me that it HAS to preboot from diskette.
Also there is a A500 mainboard somewhere in my storage....hmmm my brain is burping up some conversionplans :Doh:
Any helpfull "been there, done that" or "you are insane" remarks anyone?

Grtz, PymerOne.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Someone in another thread was talking about a ROM board that allows you to use an A2000/A500/A600 ROM up to a specific version in the A1000. There are two sockets from what I understand to put the ROMS in that are 128KB each. RKauer will know more, I would definitely ask him.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The A1000 can have a proper 1.3 ROM with boot abilities if you burn a split ROM (2x 128kb x8 ) or using the original A500 ROM in an adapter.

Both requires some searching.

I know a guy from Germany make those adaptors, but you must solder a second ROM socket on the motherboard prior to use the adaptor or the pair of custom ROM chips.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@Rogerio

I would love to get one of those adapters if you can point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks!

Heather

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
exactly. No soldering of sockets required, just plug in the adaptor, change some jumpers and solder up to 4 wires to the motherboard from the adaptor.

I've never managed to get mine to work ;-)

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
Wow thats nice ;)
I was kinda thinking about dropping the A500 mainboard into the A1000 case, but this might just as well do the trick.
Thnxx Zetr0 ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Thank you Zetr0! I've sent a PM to him. Hopefully he still has some available. :)

Heather

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
@SKD

I've dealth with him before, he's a nice chap. Slow to reply sometimes, but always follows up. If he's got them, you'll be taken care of.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Arnljot! Hopefully PymerOne will be able to get in touch with him as well. :)

Heather

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Wow thats nice ;)
I was kinda thinking about dropping the A500 mainboard into the A1000 case, but this might just as well do the trick.
Thnxx Zetr0 ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

Drop an A500 board into an A1000? Urk! You might make a lot of people on here upset if you modded an A1000 to ram an A500 board in it. :)

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
indeed... Verrrry upset :D

I am in two minds as to whether to fit my DJBase board (I've got another one), as it's really quite cool to kickstart an Amiga from disk ;) . But then I could autoboot it, and also add my 68030 somehow, if I can relocate the 68000 socket... I sorta like it being old school cool though.

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
Sorry, didnt know i was cursing in church.
Sometimes i just cant control my modding urges :nuts:.

Grtz, PymerOne.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@PymerOne: For the love of Commodore :LOL: don't mod that A1000! It would really be considered blasphemy! Some people even like booting Kickstart from floppies :whistle: I actually "saved" an A1000 from being modded, by buying it from a fellow Amigan... :) (hint: that's my 3rd A1k now)

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
There is something very fine about a 1000 with expansions of its time: mine has a spirit insider (1.5mb expansion) and a Xebec hard drive running to a princely 20MB in size.

I've used Piru's tool to combine a Kickstart and workbench disk to serve as a boot disk for the Xebec, which means I still get the lovely A1000 tones when it's ready for a kickstart.

I do want to get another 1000 and rip the guts out of it, but that feels somewhat wrong to me.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
DJBase had some of his Kickstart adapters available still and I sent payment for two of them today! Great stuff! Thanks again for the info, Keith!

Heather

Top Bottom