A1000

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
What runs on a Amiga 1000. All A500 software or not? Asking for collecting purpose, and also for the machine to have some value.. (I mean to me, not in $$$)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
You can run Defender of the Crown. What more do you want? (y)

A1000 has OCS, so games that run on OCS will play. ECS I think not.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
There's some stuff that requires at least ECS. OctaMED 5 and 6 fall in this category. They gave me software failures on my A2000 until I upgraded the Denise.

As for the A1000, if you can get the 256K RAM upgrade, it should be roughly equivalent to an A500.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
thanks, Andy, will have a chat with the one who sells it :dry: The ram expansion and some rom is already in that machine :) Hope it is still online next month, because not sure this month..:whistle:

Going to negotiate since the machine is sold as not working :roll:

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@jvdbossc: Does that mean that he/she can't test it, or is it certainly faulty? If the seller doesn't know try (kindly) persuading him/her to do a test first. If the machine is truly faulty, it won't be easy for you to repair it or find spare parts... This advice is only if you're planning to use the machine. I'd be pleased just watching the machine; i'm in love with the A1000.. :)
Oh and by the way, ensure that you obtain at least the Kickstart disk. Workbench's can be found easily, not everyone has Kickstart floppies for sale-give....

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
I believe the main handicap of the A1000 if I remember correctly when I had one in 1986 is that the ChipRAM is limited to 256K.

Mine had 256K Chip & 256K Fast & would not run many A500 titles, I no doubt that in later years some 3rd party upgrades appeared to overcome this limitation.

TC :)

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
There's some stuff that requires at least ECS. OctaMED 5 and 6 fall in this category. They gave me software failures on my A2000 until I upgraded the Denise.

As for the A1000, if you can get the 256K RAM upgrade, it should be roughly equivalent to an A500.

I would take a guess that the crashes might be due to the way the audio mixing was set up. I believe the frequency rate of the audio output is dictated by the Denise chip. The high rates relied on quirks of the ECS chip, so maybe it was expected to find these elements of the system available for the lower rates too?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I had a chat with him and the local price was about 4x times an A500 for a broken machine.

I do not have that money to spend:mad: He should sell it on the other bay..(y)

Will have a wait they turn up a couple of times a year.. :whistle: Next time sombody is moving or cleaning up probably pay that amount for a whole stock:bowdown:

AmigaSociety

Country
Grass Valley, CA.
I had a chat with him and the local price was about 4x times an A500 for a broken machine.

I do not have that money to spend:mad: He should sell it on the other bay..(y)

Will have a wait they turn up a couple of times a year.. :whistle: Next time sombody is moving or cleaning up probably pay that amount for a whole stock:bowdown:

Not sure what price you were looking at but when I found this one on Craigslist from someone in Ohio, and me in California, I jumped on it but paid for it. Original owner and took GREAT care of it. Fully running and it looks sweet. Everything in this picture cost me about $350 delivered if my memory serves. Plus I have a 2MB external RAM unit coming to me from overseas as we speak. Then I will 2.5MB RAM and can actually use it now. Super clean and I feel fairly mint condition for what I got. But, I paid for that. Some would think I am nuts and I probably am. :p

Here she is...

Not sure if I will ever sell it but for today, it is all mine. :cool:

tj

Last edited by a moderator:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It is a nice unit, you got there. No they turn up a lot cheaper if you have the time.

But not as well kept and expanded of course.:D

I don't have the desk space to set it up like you:whistle:

AmigaSociety

Country
Grass Valley, CA.
It is a nice unit, you got there. No they turn up a lot cheaper if you have the time.

But not as well kept and expanded of course.:D

I don't have the desk space to set it up like you:whistle:

You should see my office. My desks are covered edge to edge now with all my systems I have been collecting. I need to expand my office now. :blink:

tj

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I only stock them, and using the A4000, A500, C64 to use. Only 4 meters desk space reserved.

It might be a crazy idea, but maybe somebody should create a computer desk to have a compact desk for small amiga and c= box computers(y) and a switch box to go along with legacy stuff.:cool:

I would not trust the device, if it existed, since simply pulling the audio connector out killed my C64 sid chip two times. Once by me, once by somebody else:whistle:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The usefulness of A1000 can only be achieved if more RAM is added to the system.

Even 1.5Mb will be more than enough. A real ROM will be a very desirable item, of course.

The mint A1000 (256kb RAM + 256kb WOM), just to run original software from that (remote) era.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I told the seller, I am going to pass. I think I can make some stuff public, since I am not going to buy it AND he gave me a PRICE.

He is selling it for 100 EU EXcluding rom device. The A1000 is not booting every thime, but mostly does boot.

So if anybody want's it a simple PM to me will deliver the email and linky from the guy who is selling.

I think this way, not braking forum rules!(y) It would be nice it would fall in the hands of a respecting fellow member. My wallet is a little upset at the moment:Doh:

zombie10k

Country
Philadelphia, PA
The A1000 is my favorite of the bunch. I had one back in 1987 with the Supra 20MB HD (backwards of course) and 2 different boot floppies to get it to boot to the WB.

I am getting ready to install the DJBase ROM adapter with kickstart 3.1 and a modest attempt to get it to boot with my GVP A530. If not, If fairly sure it will work with the A590. I like the split motherboard design, it looks relatively alien compared to the later models (A500/2000)

I revived this one a few years ago when it shipped with a broken DKB 1.5MB insider. works perfect now.

assembled.jpg

insider.jpg

workbench.jpg

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Good luck with the adaptor - I couldn't get mine to work, but I suspect it's due to the revision of motherboard that I've got :(

zombie10k

Country
Philadelphia, PA
Good luck with the adaptor - I couldn't get mine to work, but I suspect it's due to the revision of motherboard that I've got :(

Did you discuss with DJbase? What issues did you run into? I'm a little nervous since it's involves cutting traces and this particular A1000 is in pristine condition. I have a 2nd A1000 that isn't in quite as good condition, perhaps I'll give it a go on that one.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Yes, I did. We couldn't work it out :D

I've got another from him in case the first was in some way damaged, but I haven't made time to attempt to fit it yet.

Mine is a rev A with piggyboard... The diagram of jumpers is, ah, "confusing"

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
nice units

nice units

I am however a little off about the trading price I am up in buying several Amiga 500,'s A1200's, A2000, 1541x5, A1000 for just 100 eu..:roll: It is not final yet, still need to negotiate pick up time.:blink:

The A1000 looked a little used, like all the units:eek:

Some user having a girlfriend, me having my collection more complete:ninja:

Top Bottom