A1200 DF0???

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hello,
Anyone have any idea why an A1200 with a 1D4 board would report DF0 as DF0??? when a disk is inserted? tried swapping drives no change, i don't think it's the floppy controller as the external drive DF1 works just fine

any ideas guys?

cheers, JuvUK

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i believe the ribbon is correctly orientated and is in good serviceable nick, but i shall get it checked:)

ta

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

when you insert a disk both drives that have been tried sound right but neither have read the disks, the cable on the wrong way turns the drive light on permanently does it? i seem to remember the DF0??? icon would be on the workbench all the time as well?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
when you insert a disk both drives that have been tried sound right but neither have read the disks, the cable on the wrong way turns the drive light on permanently does it? i seem to remember the DF0??? icon would be on the workbench all the time as well?

Yes, DF0??? icon would show on the workbench all the time if something was wrong.

Simple things to check: As you look at the rear of the drive, the coloured stripe should be to the far left. Correspondingly, the stripe goes to pin1 on the A1200 (the right most pair of pins as you look at the mainboard).

No nicks or cuts in the cable? Tried different cables to rule out possible faulty ones?

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Also a stuck floppy detection switch will make this exact behaviour. Clean it with a small drop of WD40 or other contact cleaner and press it for 10~20 times and test again.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
LOL, just when I get the call!!!!

LTAC

AmiBayer
Country
FRANCE
Region
South of PARIS
hello,
Anyone have any idea why an A1200 with a 1D4 board would report DF0 as DF0??? when a disk is inserted? tried swapping drives no change, i don't think it's the floppy controller as the external drive DF1 works just fine

any ideas guys?

cheers, JuvUK

Same problem for me with my A1200 (not the ESCOM model)...I think we must to check the PSU (perhaps I confused with different model A500/A600/A1200: some of them are not identical)...check in progress.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Well mine was easy, I just snipped the wire in the diagram, didnt even need to attach those two pins it was talking about. Both Drives now work perfect :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@All

This link might be of some use here

I will have a complete read and see how that relates to this escom mobo.

[edit]
Sweet! thats solved... btw have you tried Non Dos Disks? (NDOS) things like maybe Alien Breed 93 or SuperFrog?

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
@All

[edit]
Sweet! thats solved... btw have you tried Non Dos Disks? (NDOS) things like maybe Alien Breed 93 or SuperFrog?

To be honest, have not checked any type of games. The reason I wanted it was to check out all these KTs PD disks and transfer some coverdisks back to ADF (was a pain holding down mouse buttons and making the machine boot from DF1: each time). If you are interested in knowing if NDOS disks work (without that wire) I could copy a few games over and test.

Cheers

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
@All

[edit]

After testing it seems only Amigados disks read, I guess thats why I need to whack that wire across for?

Thanks

Top Bottom