A1200 Floppy read errors

Plimsol

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Bath, Somerset
Hi,

I recently picked up an A1200 with a load of floppies. Everything seems to work fine (including the HDD) except that I get read errors with most of the disks I use in either the internal or external drives. I tried a disk cleaner but doesn't seem to have helped. :huh:

I only have the disks that came with the Amiga and so cannot be 100% sure that they are working. Would anyone be able to send me one with a program on that I can use as a test?

cheers

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
if you are willing to try and format the disks then try to do so.

it might likely be one of these 3 problems
* Bad disks (with either hard or soft errors, if it is soft errors you can reformat them, if it's hard errors you'll get errors while formatting)
* Disks formated/copied by a misaligned drive (a format of these disks should do the trick)
* Misaligned drive headers

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Most old disks are stored in the wrong way, on garages and basements, where the moisture reach they, making the magnetic surface of they a perfect place for fungus.

An easy way to spot: move the metal slider cover and check if exists concentric marks on the disks. Throw away the ones you see with those marks.

Those disks will make the floppy unit heads very dirty and can even "sandpaper" the heads. Don't waste your time trying to repair the disks, they can't be repaired.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Quote from rkauer:

An easy way to spot: move the metal slider cover and check if exists concentric marks on the disks. Throw away the ones you see with those marks.

Those disks will make the floppy unit heads very dirty and can even "sandpaper" the heads. Don't waste your time trying to repair the disks, they can't be repaired.
-----
Yup, worse yet, I had to replace my pc floppy drives each half year because of that.. It only got solved when I had money enough to throw every "damaged" disk away.. Although the shop alway's laughed that it could not cause drive failure, believe me first hand, if the disk has a rainbow line on it throw it away and be glad to throw it away.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@jvd
Well if it was me who lived in Belgium and had floppy problems, it wouldn't be because of the problems you've mentioned... but something far worse...

Waffles.. one in each hand, and when needed to switch floppies.. well... you know..
sometimes you think you'd have a disk in your hand...

:D

Well I've always stored my disks secure, no moist etc..
they just loose their magnetism over the years.

I would suggest you to get this : https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=6051
it's supposed to be a really great alternative to floppies, and at one time I'm going to get one myself.. it's going to be harder and harder to buy new floppies.

This way you'll automatically have a ADF transfer kit aswell.. download the ADF files from the internet convert, and add them to the SD card.. "press play on tape"

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Tomse,

:D

Yes i know, but I don't like the pre-order idea of that piece of hardware.. Do you have it? Is it 100 percent working properly?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I have a similar, and is working OK.

Only sometimes I have their version of BSoD: discussing the relationship...:banghead:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It's gone by now :roll: I'll buy one once it turns up again.. :roll:

Top Bottom