A1200 graphics upgrade possibilities.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi folks,

I understand the scan-doubler/flicker-fixer can enhance the native graphics capabilties of classic Amigas to be more monitor friendly.

But what are the possible solutions to increase resolution? Are they limted to:

1) Towerised mainboard + Mediator + PCI/AGP graphics card?
2) Blizzard PPC with Blizzard vision thing add-on?

Are there also any limitations imposed by the amount of Chip RAM on the above solutions, or would Chip RAM be bypassed automatically?

Thanks,
Ed.

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
If you install a graphics card, the memory onboard that will be used instead of chip RAM. The two options you mention are pretty much the ways to go.

Also, the Indivision scandoubler can offer some increase in (usable) resolution; 1024x768 and perhaps 1280x720 should be possible with the HighGFX definitions even using AGA. The Indivision will then boost the output to VGA specs so it will work on new monitors. Of course the super-hires modes exist without the scandoubler too, but they are pretty hard to utilize as such.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Cool, thanks AJK, I have seen the Indivision device but they seem to be very rare and not in stock at dealers.

I have an old Voodoo 5 5500 somewhere but the cost of a medator + tower case might be prohibitive. Food for thought.

It would need to be modified, but I do like the look of the new Fractal Design Define R3 case. I think it's the one used for the new X1000.

Best regards.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Ed.D,

I'm running a mediator/voodoo 5 setup and its awesome, nothing can compare to a 24bit Workbench, I can run on my Monitors up to 1280x1024 (I think its even possible to go beyond that) no problems and it looks and runs awsome with pretty much 2mb Free Chip Ram all the time :cool:

I got my Tower case from Amigakit, its the EZ Z4 case, take a look its a very nice case and the mediator fits inside without modification and is powered by standard ATX PSU.

You could always post a wanted thread for a 2nd hand Mediator and see how you get on?

Good luck with your project.

Steve.

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
@Ed.D

Yeah, the Indivisions have been out of stock for a while but there will supposedly be a new batch made in the autumn sometime so maybe the situation will improve.

Of course an actual graphics card with 24 bit awesomeness is even better if you mainly want to run system-friendly stuff. You'll have to think of some solution to then run older games though (separate monitor, scandoubler...). Best way to go depends a lot on what you want to do with the system :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thank's Steve, I'll check that out (y)

No problem (y)

Of course an actual graphics card with 24 bit awesomeness is even better if you mainly want to run system-friendly stuff. You'll have to think of some solution to then run older games though (separate monitor, scandoubler...). Best way to go depends a lot on what you want to do with the system :)

ajk has a good point there! On my system I am using an LCD TV with RGB Scart input, so when I run the native stuff I just switch to AV channel and then back to PC channel for workbench.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
I'm ok monitor-wise :) ...currently running through a Dell 24 inch display using the composite input and I can switch to Productivity using a VGA adaptor cable, but the DELL doesn't like that so much. PAL HiRES on a 24inch screen gets a bit sore on the eyes after a while as well :blink::wooha:.

thanks again guys.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Which Dell monitor? I'm using an old 2405 and it is usable with the composite, but the picture is fairly bad compared to my really cheap 27" Samsung TV.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
@Honestflames,

My Dell is also a 2405, it's ok on composite but with VGA D-SUB input I get a picture with loads of vertical line interference. It's viewable but not nice in Productivity. Composite is ok for a while and I also have an old Philips CM8833 MkII if I need to switch.

Would be better if do the PCI thing, but to be honest I'm in two minds at the moment whether to spend more cash on this old Amiga kit.

Top Bottom