A1200 hard disk problem

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
I have an Amiga 1200 with Kickstart 3.1 and a 2.5" hard disk (ST9300AG, 262 MB).
For some reason AmigaOS 3.1 HDToolBox doesn't detect the hard disk correctly.
It reports the following: interface=SCSI, address=0, LUN=0, status=Unknown.

If I change the drive type and let HDToolBox to read the drive configuration I get valid parameters.
After partitioning and saving changes I reset the computer.

After reset there are still no hdd partitions found at the early startup screen.
And still HDToolBox doesn't detect the drive correctly.

Any ideas?

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Have you tried soft resetting the Amiga immediately after a cold boot? Some hard drives are a bit slow at spinning up when you first switch on the Amiga and therefore will not be detected.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
I'd be inclined not to split up a 260MB drive. Have you made one of the partitions bootable?

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
I have tried soft resetting too but no partitions found.
I made two partitions, one of them was bootable.

I don't know if changing the Mask value would do some miracles.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Mask values are not in the equation until data is copied.

I guess you are booting from a copy of WB Install, reading the parameters of the hard drive & then saving the changes. These changes are saved to the Install floppy disk. Have you tried booting with the Install disk after saving the changes? The Partition Icons should now be showing & then you can format them from the desktop menu. You should then be able to install the hard drive with WB3.1

Also, I'd be using about a 40Mb Boot partition for a drive that size under WB3.1. It's big enough plus some.

Kin

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
Actually I've been booting from the Install disk all the time.
There are no icons appearing after the reset.

Communication seems to be okay, I can partition and check the drive for bad sectors.
But after the reset all the changes made are forgotten. :nuts:
Amiga blinks the hdd led a couple of times during booting but that's it.

There's a label on the disk saying "A1200 UK" which would indicate the drive to be Amiga compatible.
I guess either the drive or cable is broken or maybe the drive isn't compatible after all.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
There are no jumpers for write protect? Som drives has that, I don't know how the amiga software would react to that.

Also check master slave settings on jumper. If the hd is alone, make sure it's set to master.

---

That being said it's a queer problem you have here. Only other place I've experienced the same is in UAE when it's set to control the RDB on hardfiles. It'll disregard attempts to write to the RDB.

I also assume you do remember to click save... LOL, it's the best thing I can think of in this bizzarre situation.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
This is a bit of along shot...........But

Would the Floppy Disk you are booting from be write-protected or full, HDToolbox needs to write some settings to the floppy before actually preping the HD .....

Just a shot in the dark my friend

TC :whistle:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A word of advice: when reading the configuration, in the "drive definitions" window, write "RAM:" on it. It will save the configuration of the drive to RAM: disk and will be lost after reboot, but this doesn't matter!

Read definitions, save them to RAM: and go for the partition drive button. Partition the drive, mark first partition bootable, save the changes and in the pop-up window click on reboot.

Then, after the second floppy boot, format both partitions with no directory cache and install Workbench normally.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
just out of wanting to learn, what´s the no directory cache advice about?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
"Directory cache" is useful only for floppy disks.On HD, if you set this option, then expect to corrupt the partitions in some time.

Never tick that option in HDtoolbox or when formatting a partition!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just to add to our Brazilian friends help:

Directory Cache was implemented to make the reading of partition data much quicker when listing the drives contents. As rkauer points out, after some time of use & it's all luck of the draw, the cache can become corrupt, thereby corrupting the entire partition.

@ rkauer

After all these years, I never knew you could change the path of the saved HD info. LOL, but.... :Doh:

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Amiga-wise, no one can know everything, my friend.

I still have a hearth debt with you for your generosity and friendship. Hope this time I take the debt a little minor.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
No debt in my book m8. - "Mi casa, Su casa". (y)

Charlie

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
There are no jumpers set on the drive so it's master.

When inspecting some more, there must be something fishy going on with the cable itself. :ninja:
When reading the drive parameters HDToolBox fills the Manufacturer name with string "RT8300@G".
It should be "ST9300AG" AFAIK.

It seems the cable drops some bits here and there.
Though I don't have another cable to verify this.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
It could be the drive dying too. Shame you dont have another to try.

Kin

Top Bottom