A1200 HD caddy??

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, finally got my 1200 up and working! Yeay! Been a LONG time!

Anyway, I know the guy who sold it to me said the HD was loose in there, so when I got it, I opened it up first :).

Yep, he shipped it with the loose HD in the case (I should have specified, but I assumed, oh well). It was totally loose in the case.
Also, the keyboard ribbon cable was disconnected. I'm assuming the HD knocked it out. It was in position to do that.

Anyway, everything looks to have survived tho! :D

I plugged the hard drive and keyboard back in, fired it up, and it all works!
:D:D

What's a bit weird tho, is that the holes in the caddy that looks to hold the HD don't line up with the HD itself? :huh:

Did the older smaller Amiga HD have mounting screws in different places than these newer(ish) laptop HDs???? Just wondering about that.

I'm probably going to replace it with a CF card anyway, it just seemed odd.
(I have a 512M CF card handy, which I'm thinking, although smaller than the 2G drive I have, would have plenty of space for me..)

It came with an Amiga 500 PSU, so I think I'm OK on power either way.

desiv

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
First, Make sure you have the RIGHT HD sled. Even though they look the same, the sled for the 600 is slightly diffterent than the 1200 (you can tell by the "Feet") Many Dealers will try to pass off the "wrong" sled as they cant be bothered to actually look at it, the same with the floppy drive mount for the A1200/600- Two completely different brackets, but 99% of people cant be bothered to look at the difference.
Second, if the mounting holes don't line up, you can always mount the drive the same way the floppy drive is mounted to the side of the case, it just requires you to drill two small holes in the "lip" of the case, and use a longer IDE cable. This way you can toss the Sled. This is the way AmigaKit ships their A1200, and they have a "twist" Ide cable so it is very neat and tidy.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
The original 85mb hard drive in my A1200 had holes in the bottom (like feet) to secure it to the HD caddy. When I replaced with a HDD from an old Laptop I drilled two holes in the side of the caddy so I could secure it in place.

Steve.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
It was not unusual for drives to have holes in different places, it was often dependant on the manufacturer, this is not just for the Amiga HDD cradle but also in laptops whose caddy was made around a certain brand of HDD. Mostly nowdays though they are the same thank goodness.

oh and don't forget the virtues of Double sided sticky pads, velcro tape and cable ties ;)

Gary

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@desiv

this is quite common especially with newer 2.5" HD's.. I've re-drilled a few caddy's in my time but as Gary says, you can't go wrong with a bit of Velcro, double sided sticky pads, or even a rubber band.

TC :D

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Thanx!
I'm not sure if it's the sled for the 600 or 1200. But the sled fits perfectly in the motherboard, so I'm guessing it's the correct part.

I didn't realize that small HD manufacturers didn't standardize on the holes.
(I suppose, considering they were generally designed for laptops, the least standard products in history, that it makes sense.)

I could drill some holes to match, but I like the sound of the double sided padded tape, so I might do that for now.

Thanx!

desiv

Top Bottom