A1200 HD set up

John58

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Teesside
My A1200 is a REV B2 motherboard with 3.1 roms and an extra 4mb memory.

I am trying to partition a newly acquired 6.3 GB HD, is there a way of using the full 6.3gb of this hard drive because so far I have only been able to set up two partitions, one 2087mb and the other 8499kb. I’m using the 3.1 install disk to set up the HD.

Thank you
John

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
I think the biggest single partition you can use under WB 3.1 is 4gb. I also think you can use IDEFix which allows large drive support and gets around the problem.

Lio

Country
France
Region
Kembs
to use more than 4Gb HD on AmigaOS3.1 the driver (scsi.device for instance) and the filesystem (smartfilesystem for instance) must support them (one is not enough).

it is easier to install AOS3.5 or 3.9 because they support bigger HDs as default as opposed to AOS3.1 which you have to patch.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Jomor58

I would suggest that you look at Classic Workbench, there us also a Tutorial to enable Large Harddisk support (second tutorial).

I humbly recommend the ClassicWorkbench Packages if you have not already tried them - in your case (having 4MB Fast) - I would suggest Classic Workbench Lite or Classic Workbench ADV pending what you want to do.

The best way to install ClassicWorkbench is by using WinUAE - you can then prepare the Amiga Harddrive under WinUAE (and ClassicWorkbench - enabling Large Disk Support) and then copy the system across to the newly prepared drive

John58

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Teesside
Thank you Skilgannon, Lio and Zetr0 for replying to my problem.

I had hoped that their would be a way to make 3 or 4 partitions with the set up I have, utilising the full capacity of this HD. It would appear that is not possible.
Well at least the HD is working and although I am only using about a 3rd of its capacity its enough for what I’m using it for at present.

Thank you
John

Tiago

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Estoril
But without IDEfix you should be able to get to 4GB, installing directly in real Miggy or with Winuae, both will let you get a partition till 4GB.
But you should put SFS file system.

John58

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Teesside
@Tiago

If as you say I should be getting a partition of 4GB then there might be something wrong with the HD or the Amiga or both. What ever the case may be, I’m going to put the Amiga to bed until after the festivities, I’ll look at it again in the New Year.

Thank you
John

John58

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Teesside
Following Zetr0 advice, I’ve installed WinUAE and classic workbench and attached the Amiga harddrive to the IDE of my PC but that’s as far as I’ve got because WinUAE can not see the Amiga harddrive.
Should WinUAE automatically detect the Amiga harddrive or are there some settings that I need to make?

While playing with WinUAE I discovered the application HDToolBox. This is not on my real 3.1 install disk but found a copy of it on my Squirrel installation disk. Using this application I was able to set the 6 GB harddrive with 3 partitions, 2 of about 1 GB and 1 of about 4 GB. This is what I was looking to do in the beginning but now I’ve seen the classic workbench, I want it on my real Amiga.

John

Top Bottom