AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Rotherham' South Yorkshire.
Hi all....

Where to start :readit::readit::readit::readit::readit:

As a few of you know i have an external AQ overdrive (HDD) for my 1200
well iv taken out the hdd today and found out its a standard 3.5" ide drive so iv plugged it in to my pc's ide' All was goin well pc booted up found the drive my in my computer (win7) theres no drive there' Anyone know why cos its drivin me mad!!!!

Im running win7 and the drive is set to cable select... (master/slave)

Cheers all :roll:

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
The Amiga drive is the wrong format for the PC to recognize. You could access it from the PC through WinUAE.

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
I have described it here somewhere recently, I'm a little bit pushed today to write it afresh, and i can't seem to find it... Give me a few minutes

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
add -disableharddrivesafetycheck
to winuae shortcut properties should do it.

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Ok, the old thread did not quite meet what you needed, but basically, Windows 7 can not recognise an Amiga formatted hard drive natively. You need to install Winuae (from winuae.net) and then you should be able to see the Amiga drive listed when you go to the hard drive tab and choose something like "mount hard drive" (I do not have winuae on the machien I am using at the mo, so I can not check). Then you shoudl be able to boot the emulator into that drive.

If you wanted to pull files off of there to the PC, you would need to use Winuae mount a virtual hard disk in a directory on the PC side, which will show up to the emulated Amiga as a hard disk. Then you just need to dragthe files to the virtual hard disk on Workbench. Does that make any sense?

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Ok, the old thread did not quite meet what you needed, but basically, Windows 7 can not recognise an Amiga formatted hard drive natively. You need to install Winuae (from winuae.net) and then you should be able to see the Amiga drive listed when you go to the hard drive tab and choose something like "mount hard drive" (I do not have winuae on the machien I am using at the mo, so I can not check). Then you shoudl be able to boot the emulator into that drive.

If you wanted to pull files off of there to the PC, you would need to use Winuae mount a virtual hard disk in a directory on the PC side, which will show up to the emulated Amiga as a hard disk. Then you just need to dragthe files to the virtual hard disk on Workbench. Does that make any sense?

It does thanx :D If i get stuck' ill be back lol....
Cheers guys...

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Sorry guys but im not gettin this! :huh:

Iv load Winuae up and looked in the hard drive tab but its not there' Anywhere!

Iv tried to add hdd but it just not there...

Help pls

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Aw Phil. What a can of whoop-ass your having there.

WinUAE need s a little loving & all should be good. - I'm gob smacked that WinUAE can detect a Genuine Amiga Floppy drive. That's pretty impressive to say the least.

I'm sure one of our WinUAE guru's will be able to help you. Alas, I am a mere genuine Hardware expert. - Even if an "ex-pert is a drip under pressure" :| :LOL:

Good luck m8,

Kin

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
have you checked to make sure that the hd is at least showing in device manager in windows, right click my computer, select manage, goto device manager tab and look under ide/atapi. if your drive is not showing there, then the jumpers are wrong.

winuae will have no chance if so.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I agree with bazzaq see if it is properly connected! if it is it will work..

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
do the add -disableharddrivesafetycheck that bazzaq suggests

then in Harddrives you want the button on far right "add Hard drive"

believe it or not its a safety feature that you have to do the -disableharddrivesafetycheck bit

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Is this device a hard disk or a floppy disk drive? I am not familiar with the item, and from what some are saying in this thread I am confused as to whether it is a floppy device that uses the IDE interface?

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

If it is a hard drive, when you go to the hard drives tab in WinUAE, you should be able to add it by clicking the "add hard drive" button, and clicking the drop button that is there to see the available drives. If the PC is not talking to the drive, this will not work.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

do the add -disableharddrivesafetycheck that bazzaq suggests

then in Harddrives you want the button on far right "add Hard drive"

believe it or not its a safety feature that you have to do the -disableharddrivesafetycheck bit

Is this a Windows 7 thing?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@cosmicfrog: If the thread is going the way I think, the hard drive is already formatted by an amiga and the -disablexxx is not needed at all. Besides Winuae should see the drive read only then!

If it's not already amiga formatted please ignore this comment.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region

Yep! thats the one :)

Iv looked in device manager at the IDE tab already there is 3 ATA channels i think one of them is the seagate (AQ Hdd) - The hdd is goin to sleep if i leave it and when i open winuae up the hdd wakes up but its just not there and in winuae on hdd tab the ADD Hard Drive tab is not highlighted...

This is doin my head in...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers guys.... For some unknown reason i have to reinstall WinUae' Well it worked fist time!

TTHHAANNKK YYOOUU !!!!!!! :) :) :)

Last edited:

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
your are probably right there jvdbossc infact I`ve just checked now 100% sure as well

-disableharddrivesafetycheck bit is`t a win 7 option though the latest builds of winUAE won`t work on anything less than xp

JiggyMF

AmiBayer
Country
the Netherlands
Region
Breda area
Your amiga drive is a different file format then a pc harddrive, the pc will see the drive physically, but you won't be able to do anything with it (outside, if you're lucky, format it to a pc compitable format which you obviously don't want).

Where WinUAE comes into play, is that this allows you to simulate an amiga environment. It will be like you are on an amiga machine, within windows.

First thing you want to do to get started is download winuae, and download (or make, but this sounds a bit tricky in your situation)a kickstart file (3.1 for example).
You go into settings of WinUAE and point to the rom file, and boot it up.
Next thing is to get yourself a workbench on your WinUAE, just like you would on a normal amiga. Get yourself a workbench version, use it in WinUAE, and you will be in a workbench just like on a normal amiga.

I am quite confident that at this point, you will already see your amiga harddrive, since winuae will recognise it as an amiga format hd.
If you don't see it, use settings to add the harddrive, and you will see it.

If you are unsure, pop in an Amiga cd in your cd player while you are in workbench in winuae, you will see it will be displayed on your workbench, this is the same you will see with your harddrive.

Top Bottom