mwkenna

Country
Wales, UK
Region
Swansea
Looking to put a 2.5" HDD in my 1200. Couple of questions

1) Is there a size limit?
2) Are there any reccomended drives that work "really well"
3) Would I be better getting a CF adaptor - pro's/con's of each please?
4) Anything else..?

Thanks guys, slowly getting there!!

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
There is no particular capacity limit that cannot be overcome, but if you go beyond 4 gigabytes you'll need to start updating various operating system components (if still using 3.0 or 3.1).

Pretty much all 2.5" IDE drives work in my experience.

CompactFlash cards are nicer as they are physically small and don't produce heat, and even a 4GB card goes a long way in an Amiga. Cons I suppose are that you can't really get massive capacities and also that there are more compatibility issues (SanDisk cards seem to be the best).

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
ajk has basically hit the nail on the head. The optimum point for an A1200 is a 4GB CompactFlash card in a CF/IDE adapter.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Bah! 4Gigs is not enough!!!!

look up Classic Workbench and SFS - its very easy to do - our fellow AmiBayer Fitzsteve also did a how-to I think...

its quite easy to setup a 40GB HDD in an A1200 - even without FAST RAM

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Well it's not to hard with wb 3.0 - 3.1 to go over 4gig. You just need idefix and a different file system like SFS. Its actually pretty easy. I have a 60gig HD in mine, but I am up to about 19gig used so far. My advice is bigger the better :)

Posted same time as Zetr0 :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Bah! 4Gigs is not enough!!!!

look up Classic Workbench and SFS - its very easy to do - our fellow AmiBayer Fitzsteve also did a how-to I think...

its quite easy to setup a 40GB HDD in an A1200 - even without FAST RAM

You're just greedy! That's what it is, Keith. 4GB ought to be enough disk space for any Amiga. (Except when it isn't) ;-)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
LOL.... yes..... yes.... and yes.... guilty as charge I am very Greedy when it comes to harddisk space!!!

I demand as much as I can cram into a machine... - infact my 5TB File Store is in need of new Disks!!!

anyway... 4GB would be fine for just all the WHDLoad games - once you -

remove ECS versions in favour for AGA
remove non-english titles
remove mulitples of the same game

inface you might have enough room for WHDLoad Demo's too =)

but thats one chock 4GB drive - not a lot of room for say applications / art / music / coding / wordprocessing / dtp / scanning..... nope 4GB of just games and demo's

so.... you reallly need IM(most)H(of)O a minimum of 10GB - easier to find a 20GB drive though =)

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
I setup SFS on my A2000 with a 9 gig SCSI. Look, for me, it chewed up a lot of chipmem, and still presented issues with partitions over 2 gigabyte in size. Just some feedback from the other side of the fence.

mwkenna

Country
Wales, UK
Region
Swansea
CF IDE ordered from AmigaKit (who incidentally are only 30 miles away from me!)

(And someone just outbid me on Indy Last Crusade!!!! :()

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just to add:

CF media does not load Icons as quickly as a 2.5" Hard Drive can. A Micro-drive such as an IBM affair does a better job with Icons than CF, but the load time of your OS is slower than a CF, but faster than a 2.5" hard Drive. (y)

Your mileage may vary with newer brand name products & different File Systems from C='s stock FastFileSystem.

Kin

Top Bottom