A1200 no picture...

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey guys, i recently came into posession of a beautiful A1200.

The guy didnt want it anymore but hadnt tested it.

Upon powering up everything looks and sounds fine, the floppy drive kicks in etc but there is nothing being output to the screen.

I am using the composite and RF outs and unfortunately dont have a monitor to test that side of things.

Anyone know what may be up with her? :unsure:

Last edited:

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Is it a basic A1200, no memory upgrade, no gfx upgrade (indivision or other) ?

If you hold both mouse buttons while powering up can you get the boot menu?

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Did you wait long enough? ;)

Seen a few times here and there that people seem to get so excited over their new toy they want the screen popup instantly, while the 3.0/3.1 ROM needs to check a few things before showing the "begging" screen.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
No response from holding the two mouse buttons down but i could never get that to work on my A600 either lol.

The rf output appears to be putting out a black screen which rolls much like one of the old TVs when the v hold is out. I tried turning the screw tuner thing at the side of the RF out and it momenterily loses signal if i turn it too far but then displays the same black flickering screen even though its been turned which leads me to beleive that its not the propper signal im seeing dispalyed.
From the rgb there is no signal atall.

I'm not too familiar with the A1200s motherboard so this should be a learning experience too.

From what I can tell it has no mods, the expansion isnt filled but it appears to have 2 ROM chips both of which look to be version 3.0 ?

Ill try and post some pics shortly...

How do i do that? lol.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@Amineo

I take it the scart lead you are using works fine with your A600 my friend.

To upload piccies use the 'manage attachments' button when creating or editing your post ;)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
How long is long enough? lol

And yea im using all the same stuff my 600 uses inc power supply. The 1200 came unit only.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@AmiNeo

at the moment we need to isolate what the problem actually is.

RF Issues
you are not able to pickup an RF signal from the Amiga,

I would suggest returning the frequency shift (the screw) back to the middle position, to do this, screw it to the right (no more than finger tight) and then count the turns to the left until thats finger tight. Once you have that number count half the number of turns back to the right, this will put the machine in a default (as possible output)

Now tune in your TV to the Amiga, if you get no response then its likely another problem with the RF unit (its not surprising it very old)

Amiga RGB SCART woes

Now the A1200 is a fickle beast when it comes to SCART RGB cables, infact its a damn right nightmare to find an A1200 and Monitor that play nice via the RGB port.

There are plenty of specifications on how to make your own scart cable, you can also buy them from www.amigakit.co.uk

Try Composite

In this instance I would plug a (yellow plugged) composite cable into the yellow phono jack on the back of the Amiga and then to the TV set directly or you can use a SCART RCA adapter

this will ascertain if there is a problem with the video out on the Amiga

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

If you have no HD installed it can take up to 30 seconds until the floppy drive starts clicking every 2 seconds which is when the Kickstart screen should be displayed...

TC :cool:

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
A1200

A1200

No response from holding the two mouse buttons down but i could never get that to work on my A600 either lol.

I have to do that all the time on my 1200 I found out just holding the 2 mouse bottons when i power on always gets it..

Chris

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Heres those pics, she looks a bit dusty in these but has since had a quick clean up.

Attachments

• DSCF3925.jpg
    DSCF3925.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF3929.jpg
    DSCF3929.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF3928.jpg
    DSCF3928.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
And Chris, i totally agree with your sig, lol. im sooo guilty of that and would have every system ever most likely if i had kept them all.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

If you have no HD installed it can take up to 30 seconds until the floppy drive starts clicking every 2 seconds which is when the Kickstart screen should be displayed...

TC :cool:

Hmm. i left her on for a whole 3 or 4 minutes earlier....

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

@AmiNeo

at the moment we need to isolate what the problem actually is.

RF Issues
you are not able to pickup an RF signal from the Amiga,

I would suggest returning the frequency shift (the screw) back to the middle position, to do this, screw it to the right (no more than finger tight) and then count the turns to the left until thats finger tight. Once you have that number count half the number of turns back to the right, this will put the machine in a default (as possible output)

Now tune in your TV to the Amiga, if you get no response then its likely another problem with the RF unit (its not surprising it very old)

Amiga RGB SCART woes

Now the A1200 is a fickle beast when it comes to SCART RGB cables, infact its a damn right nightmare to find an A1200 and Monitor that play nice via the RGB port.

There are plenty of specifications on how to make your own scart cable, you can also buy them from www.amigakit.co.uk

Try Composite

In this instance I would plug a (yellow plugged) composite cable into the yellow phono jack on the back of the Amiga and then to the TV set directly or you can use a SCART RCA adapter

this will ascertain if there is a problem with the video out on the Amiga

Zetro, i currently have 2 connections, one of which impliments the yellow socket but is a yellow (white and red too) to scart. is this not composite? or RGB?

The other is the RF and im currently attempting to find teh default position as per your guide.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Thats Composite output from the Amiga, the only way to get RGB would be to use the dedicated 23pin Video port next to the composite (to the right in the photo)

Its important to note that the composite encoder chip can suffer a bit from bad capacitors as such you will get no picture on the composite or the RF.

If with this cable you are not getting any picture from any other machine I would suspect either the cable or the TV site to be honest.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Thats Composite output from the Amiga, the only way to get RGB would be to use the dedicated 23pin Video port next to the composite (to the right in the photo)

Its important to note that the composite encoder chip can suffer a bit from bad capacitors as such you will get no picture on the composite or the RF.

If with this cable you are not getting any picture from any other machine I would suspect either the cable or the TV site to be honest.

But both cable and TV are working fine on my A600...

Am i looking at a caps problem then?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

I just tried on a whim, plugging my A600 harddrive (with workbench 2.05 installed) into the 1200. It seems to be acting a little differently.

Upon power up i get a quick grey screen before the constant black screen, which appears to be more normal than an instant rolling black screen.

Gonna try reseating the ROM chips...

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

No change... but i tried taking the hard drive back out and its back to the rolling black screen... Adding the hard drive seems to affect it somehow.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

:(:(:(

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

I just noticed theres actually no floppy seek either, it just ticks once when the power first gets switched on. No different response with a disk in either.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Pulled roms out again, swapped them around and now its a constant grey screen... not sure if its light or dark grey though... its hard to tell

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I would say that this is a more serious pre-post/posting problem to behonest.

As you have reseated the ROM's then realistically the next step is to replace the caps and test.

do one at a time - start with the power in area - if you notice any dull leads (of the smd caps) replace these units first.

To get the right caps, Cosmo's is offering kits to that will replace all the caps in the A1200 on here =)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
... this means ill need to buy that new iron sooner than planned. I spent so much getting the 600 working that i just dont think i have the funds at the moment. :(.

This sucks... lol. If id have known i was to come into posession of a 1200 i would have left the 600 as it was.

Ok, thanks for the help guys, i may have to leave this to one side for a bit...

:|

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
It might be worth checking the pcmcia slot for bent pins, just on the off chance that it got rammed with something non pcmcia shaped.:unsure:

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
'how would this affect booting?

Should the 3.0 roms work in an a600? because im getting the same problems using them in it.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
'how would this affect booting?

Should the 3.0 roms work in an a600? because im getting the same problems using them in it.

errr......

Are you saying that you are using an A600 Kickrom in an A1200 ?!?!?

if thats the case then no wonder its not working.

You need specific A1200 Kickrom(s) as there are two ROMs, in the A600 there is only 1 kickrom (larger size)
If you need A1200 3.0 Kickroms then please hit me up on a PM I have a spare set you can have for gratis. (thats free =)) just sort out postage and we are square =)

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
If a 5v pin is touching a ground pin in the pcmcia it will stop the amiga from booting.

The A1200 3.0 roms wont work in a 600.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

According to the pic he has

Kickstart V3.0 (39.106) 391524-01 A1200 (ROM 0) Kickstart V3.0 (39.106) 391523-01 A1200 (ROM 1)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
no no, it came with 3.0s but i tried swapping them out both ways (a600 ROM in 1200 and 1200 ROM in a 600) and the 600 is giving the same output with the 1200s ROM.

Ive heard of people using 3.1 rom in a 600, shouldnt a 3.0 rom work too?

My logic was to make sure the 1200s ROMs were working ok, and i tried the 600s ROM in the 1200 cos i happened to have 2 of them that i know definately work.

I have no way of testing the 1200s 3.0 ROMs if they wont work on a 600.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I will check the pcmcia slot...

Top Bottom