A1200 Problem

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Rotherham' South Yorkshire.
Hi all im a little new to this forum' So im sorry if iv posted this in the wrong place... :) ..... Here's the problem iv got with my a1200' Iv only got a few game and most of them work ok but theres a couple that flicker and the screen rolls' I dont think its the disks cos iv also got a a500plus that they work perfect on... The games are pac mania and blues brothers...... Am i goin crazy are is there a real problem??? Cheers all

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Did you try going into the Early Startup Control (hold down both mouse buttons when you turn on/reboot) menu and selecting Original or Enhanced in the Display Options screen?

If you have a hard disk you might want to get a copy of a nifty program called WHDLoad which will let you play those games from your hard drive without any graphics issues.http://www.whdload.de/

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
Fairly sure these games probably aren't compatible with the A1200, unless you use WHDLoad or some kind of degrader. It's likely a ROM issue...

@firthy just beat me to it!

Last edited:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Hi all im a little new to this forum' So im sorry if iv posted this in the wrong place... :) ..... Here's the problem iv got with my a1200' Iv only got a few game and most of them work ok but theres a couple that flicker and the screen rolls' I dont think its the disks cos iv also got a a500plus that they work perfect on... The games are pac mania and blues brothers...... Am i goin crazy are is there a real problem??? Cheers all

Hi Phil & welcome to AmiBay. :)

It could be an NTSC display your seeing scrolling & flickering about. I guess your Amiga is a PAL affair cos you're in the UK. ;)
Check the disks giving you the problem & see if they are an NTSC version of the game.
If this is the case, there isn't anything you can do about it other than run them on an NTSC Amiga with a display device that can handle NTSC signals.

Kin

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
exactly what are you useing to view them on ?? old TV, old cbm/amiga monitor or a new lcd TV

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Hello all... Thanx for replyin so fast... Iv tried holding both mouse buttons and selecting Original and Enhanced but im not havin any joy with that :( Iv also tried kickstart 1.3 and thats not working :( Oh and im using an old BUSH tv with composit.... Iv got a external hard disk its the OVERDRIVE pcmcia' I would try WHDLoad but i dont have anyway of trancfering from pc to amiga at th moment as my pcmcia slot is taken up and my pc does not have a 9pin serial. Oh and pac mania's menu is ok (no flickering or rolling) Untill you are in the game' then its unplayable... Dont know if that help! Cheers again all... :)

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
My first instinct was to say that it's a PAL cs NTSC problem.

but then you say it works in you A500. Are they both PAL or both NTSC?

either way, it gets further complicated with that the menu in one game works and not the level :)

So, I stand with the rest here, get WHD load onto the A1200, and get the installer for the game and try from there.

No worries that the PC doesn't have serial, use a USB-2-serial adapter.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
I think its pal but not 100% In the 1200 boot menu its default is pal and if i put the 1200 thro RF its tuned into pal.... Oh and thanx for the heads up about usb to serial... Any idea where to get a cable from a link to a site would be fantastic :p Cheers.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
In norway we've got a "all kinds of stuff" chain called ClaesOhlson, they sell anything from nuts and bolds to waffle irons.

I picked up mine there. It's USB in one end, and 9Pin serial in the other, using an adapter I can connect it to my amigas.

Here are a few item numbers to evil bay for buy it now sales:

Or just search for "usb serial adapter" or "usb rs232".

Re: A1200, so it's PAL most likely then. What about the A500 you mentioned?

Also, a way to be even more sure would be to open them up ang look at the Agnus chips of each machine. I think PAL and NTSC has different part numbers.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Thanx for the reply Iv just been lookin on the net for the usb to serial and iv been on the phone to a local computer shop' Iv found a null modem cable 9pin to 25pin (female both ends) But they dont have the usb convertor :( the cables only £5 aswell :) ... Oh and i was thinking of opening up the 1200 to have a quick look if its pal' As for the 500 im not sure could be pal' thats already open and as we speak im tryin to find out if its pal lol :)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
So what you see here is what kinds of Agnee is used in the various Amigas :)

Top Bottom