A1200 Towers

mikem

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Diego, CA
I've gotten my A1200 motherboard now (NOS from Vesalia) and am starting to look at the different tower case options. Is there any real big difference between the different cases? I see that the EZ Z4 can still be bought, but the D-box 1200 tower looks like it might be sturdier and has extra support for a mediator board. Not sure if there are other options available -- these are the only two that I've found.

Which would you consider to be the "best" A1200 tower case and why?

Thanks!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas mikem

Where the EZ-Z4 will quite likely stop a 4 gigaton nuclear bomb - the D-box 1200 on the other hand might actually attract women.... or so I heard ;)

truth is - this really comes down to three things

1. your project goals
2. your project budget
3. your available time

1. Goals

where do you see the conclusion of this project? wil it be a Zorro based Amiga or perhaps a PCI based Amiga - or Both?

2. Budget

Lets be honest - not every one has a rich uncle Tony that doesn't like to talk about his business - so be realistic and simplistic - get the crucial components to your build first.

i.e. accelerator / graphics / network / sound / disk access etc. - some of these you can trade your way up to what you want - so enjoying a journey of components =)

3. Available time

Yes this stuff known as "time" is forever abundant yet elusively rare! if you are limmited on time then buying a pre-fabbed chassis is the answer - I have to admit Have played with a EZ tower and D-Box, and the latter is a clear winner in my book the EZ-Tower is... well lets just say ancient in comparrison.

However there does exist a third possiblity - and that is the creation of your own chassis - with a little thought its no that hard to do - there are plenty of engineering frims local that can easly cut-out a back-plane to your marking / specifications - making a real pro-job for only a few $

so there you have it.

My A1200 Z2/PCI build is going to be quite unique in that the chassis will be desktop based but resemble a cross between an A1000 and an A3000 - it will have both a Zorro 2 backpane and PCI back plane - its going to be quite a bit of kit - its also going to be a good 8 months work. - hence why I have not started yet.

mikem

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Diego, CA
I don't really know if I want a PCI or Zorro based A1200 -- I suppose it would be best to keep that option open and not limit myself to one vs. the other (if possible!). I would imagine that it's easier to find PCI peripherals vs. Zorro, but is one a better choice over the other?

Based on the pictures and articles I've read, it does appear that the D-box is a better design. Does it support both Zorro and PCI boards?

As for budget & time... I don't have a huge amount of time, but I do have some disposable income from time to time. I did see there was a fairly large price different between the D-box and EZ Z4, but I think I can manage the difference. The idea of custom building something is intriguing, but I don't think I would have the time for that endeavor.

Sorry if some of my questions seem rather basic, but this is my first real exposure to Amiga so I'm learning as I go!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I got a EZ-Z4 Tower from Amigakit and I an very pleased with it. My Mediator PCI setup fits in just fine in my Tower but a Zorro setup will need to modify the case but this should be simple as the slots can be removed.

I have used blizzard and Apollo accelerator inc PPC cards and they all fit fine and do not overheat.

I am happy with it but I have not used any of the other towers as the appeal for me was that is was new and shiny.

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
So lets have a visual Compare

DBox 1200 (images are thanks to amigakit.co.uk

Internal (empty)
dbox1200_2.jpg

Internal (fitted)
dbox1200_4.jpg

Rear
dbox1200_1.jpg

Front (not from AmigaKit)
dbox1.jpg

I have to admit she is kinda pretty and I dont really like tower's (more of a desktop fan ;) )

So lets now look at the alternative

Ez Z4 Tower (images are thanks to amigakit.co.uk)

Internal (empty)
atx-tower-case-2.jpg

Internal (fitted) (thanks to fitzsteve)
IMG_7896.jpg

Rear
ez-z4-tower-back.jpg

Front
z4-tower-case.jpg

As we can see here the EZ-Z4 is only has 3x 5.25" drive bays - where as the DBox1200 is infact 4x 5.25"

Since both should handle a zorro 2 or PCI backplane it really comes down to where you want to take your project.

mikem

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Diego, CA
Wow, that's the most detailed photo I've seen of the D-box yet! I think the aesthetic appeal alone has me sold! Do you know if any more are being made, or if anyone is still selling them new?

Thanks!

Top Bottom