A1500/A2000 & A2620 - cannot use anything above Kick 1.3

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi all,

I recently purchased an A2620 accellerator card for my A1500.
I read that some have old boot ROMs that don't work with Kick2.0 or above (so only 1.2 or 1.3) and mine fits this criteria.

If I use a Kick2.0 or Kick3.1 ROM I get a yellow screen with writing in the corner stating "Autoconfig ran out of space"
If I use Kick 1.3 in ROM, all is fine.

However, this gave me the idea of trying to soft-kick 2.0 or 3.1 with MKick - and there lies my problem, it just wont do it!

If I boot in 68000 mode (with the 020 disabled) I can softkick without problem.
If I boot in 68020 mode (so, with the accelerator enabled) MKick tells me "MKick requires Kickstart 1.X in ROM" - even though it already is!

The seller gave me a copy of their Startup-Sequence with the MKick command and the parameters they are using but I get the same problem.

My setup:

Commodore Amiga A1500 (think rev 4.3 boad, not 100% sure)
Kickstart 1.3 (34.5)
Nexus SCSI controller with 4MB FAST RAM, no HDD, SCSI controller disabled by jumper
BuddhaIDE with 80GB 3.5" HDD and CDROM attached
Commodore A2620 accelerator with 2MB FAST RAM, 68881 (FPU), 68020 (CPU) and 6851 (MMU)
2x 3.5" floppy drives

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing the inability to soft-kick 2.0 or 3.1?
I've tried the A500/A600 3.1 ROM and an A1200 3.1 ROM, all give me the same error.
On a side note, even trying to soft kick 1.2 doesn't work, yet again, same error.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
What version are the ROMs on the 2620? Im sure you have to have a certain version or above for Kickstart2+

SpeedGeek

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Wisconsin
@Taj

I think woody (the cool dude) knows about the A2620 ROM upgrade but he wants to try his luck with softkicking first...;)

... and for this I wish him Godspeed, the Queen's blessing, a fresh cup of tea, the latest James Bond gadgets and as much good luck as he can possibly find! :LOL:

Last edited:

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
@Taj

I think woody (the cool dude) knows about the A2620 ROM upgrade but he wants to try his luck with softkicking first...;)

... and for this I wish him Godspeed, the Queen's blessing, a fresh cup of tea, the latest James Bond gadgets and as much good luck as he can possibly find! :LOL:

:picard How did I miss that!?!:double:oops:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi SpeedGeek - that's exactly it - hmmm, but based on your reply I take I have no change of trying to soft kick?

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
If I boot in 68020 mode (so, with the accelerator enabled) MKick tells me "MKick requires Kickstart 1.X in ROM" - even though it already is!

Amiga resource states with respect to the earlier ROMs:

"

• boot ROMs below rev 6 are incompatible with Kickstart 2.0 and above
    • the ROM address space overlaps the upper 256 kB of the 512 kB Kickstart ROMs (Kickstart 1.3 is 256 kB only)
    • by the time AmigaOS loads, the boot ROMs are supposed to be off but due to a bug in the A26x0 ROM code they remain active, causing an address space collision
    • fitting a rev 6 or 7 ROM pair solves the problem
    • some boards are reported being incompatible with the newer ROMs either
"

So it's quite possible that when mkick peeks into the usual ROM area to verify a supported ROM is there, it sees alien data from the A2620 ROM and complains.

(I assume mkick scans the whole $F80000 512 KB range expecting to see two identical, 256 KB each, copies of a supported 1.x ROM, one at $F80000 and the other at $FC0000, as is normally the case with KS 1.2 or 1.3 - so the A2620 ROM's "remains", sitting on the upper 256 KB half if we're to believe what amiga resource says, would break that condition. This would also imply that with the newer ROMs mkick would work fine.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom