A2000/A2500: tips on accelerators

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
And another question regarding my A2500.

I currently have an A2630 accelerator with a DKB 2632 RAM card attached to it. It's a really nice combo, but I'd like to have a little bit more spice in my system. I've tried to look for a CSA Rocket Launcher, but those things seem to be even more rare than the DKB 2632, so I've been thinking about another accelerator lately.

I'm not doing any heavy things with the A2500 (I have my A4k with CSMK3 for that), so I presume a 50 MHz 030 would be just fine, and a little less RAM is no problem either, however 32MB would be preferable.

I don't know much about accelerators for the A2000/2500, so what would be a wise choice? I know GVP made some good stuff, but what else is around which is reliable?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I have an Apollo 2030 Light. It's got a 25MHz 68030 with MMU and a 25MHz 68882 and takes up to 64MB in standard 72pin SIMMs. The not-so-Light version has 50MHz CPU/FPU instead.

The great thing is they are often dirt cheap, the sticking point however, is that they have a lot of compatibility issues. GVP SCSI card? Forget it. Rev 6.x motherboard? If you're lucky, it might work. Apollo On-board SCSI? Don't even go there.

That said, if you manage to get it to work, you're on to a winner. Mine is playing very nicely in an r6.2 board with an A2091 SCSI card.

If you want a bit more oomph, you could look to acquiring a Fusion Forty or a PPS 2000/Zeus, they tend to crop up from time-to-time for respectable price tags.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
SCSI is not really necessary, I've got an A2091 in it too which runs just fine, it's only about an accelerator plus some RAM.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A GVP Impact-2 with 16Mb is the best bang for the buck, you can quit the A2091 or use the two SCSI systems, one for HD and the other for CD/DVD.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Trouble with the Impact/G-Force is the maximum of 16MB where I would prefer 32MB. That leaves out GVP 030 cards (the G-Force 040 takes a lot more RAM, but is probably quite a bit more expensive)...

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
The GForce 040 is not super expensive, Ed's only asking for 200 dollars the ones he's selling. Shipping isn't super horrible across the pond, about 37 dollars, the only issue to look at is that the 040 is less compatible with WHDLoad games.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
To be honest, GVP is your best bang for your buck (like RK said). However, with the money you save on getting one of them, why not invest in some sort of RAM card?

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Well, my RAM possibilities are pretty much filled already. I've already got a 4MB Zorro II RAM card, plus there's 2MB on the PicassoII. That leaves 2MB to be added on the Zorro II bus which is pretty much not worth getting an extra RAM card for.

I think I'll stick to my wish of min. 32MB.

@NathanielTolbert: to what level is it less compatible with WHDLoad? It's one of the main uses for my 2500, so it would be nice if I didn't have too many trouble with it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Zorro 2 only accept up to 8Mb. I think your best move is grabbing a video card instead a new accelerator.

And a scandoubler, if you don't have one.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
From what I understand the 040 changed some of the CPU structure so that it does some actions differently than the 030 and 020. Due to these changes, if a game was designed to take advantage of an accelerator, but not designed for the changes in an 040, there can be some crashes and conflicts when using the 040 in the game. I personally haven't run across it myself, but everyone says it happens. Aside from that, the 040's are super fast on the A2000. Everything runs faster, and if you top it off with an RTG card, icons just pop. It's very nice.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Zorro 2 only accept up to 8Mb. I think your best move is grabbing a video card instead a new accelerator.

And a scandoubler, if you don't have one.

My current setup is:

A2500, 1MB Chip
A2630 with 4MB, 25MHz
A2632 with 112MB
A2091 SCSI controller
Picasso II
A2320 flickerfixer
X-Surf
4MB RAM card

So really all I'm looking for is a faster accelerator to replace the A2630/DKB2632 combo. Or a CSA Rocket Launcher, but those are unbelievably rare.

From what I understand the 040 changed some of the CPU structure so that it does some actions differently than the 030 and 020. Due to these changes, if a game was designed to take advantage of an accelerator, but not designed for the changes in an 040, there can be some crashes and conflicts when using the 040 in the game. I personally haven't run across it myself, but everyone says it happens. Aside from that, the 040's are super fast on the A2000. Everything runs faster, and if you top it off with an RTG card, icons just pop. It's very nice.

I don't think I'll be playing any games that need an accelerator on the A2500, so I guess I'm pretty safe getting myself an 040. I'm a bit reluctant towards GVP cards with their weird and rare SIMMs, so I'll probably be looking for something like a Blizzard, PPS or Fusion Forty.

Anyway, thanks for all the infos. I'm going to look around a bit, I'm in no hurry really :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
For the A2000 I strongly suggest to keep it as it is, as WHDLoad is simply perfect with your setup.

OK, another Mb of chip RAM will not hurt.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Right. Then go for a Blizzard 2060. I think you can sell the DKB only and will have enough $ to buy it. :)

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Nah, you're sh*tting me. Surely that DKB can't be worth as much as a Blizzard 060? Are they THAT rare? :blink:

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Hmmmm. Too bad I can't ask for offers here then ;)

Nah. I'll just wait until I see a decent accelerator and then try to sell the DKB. Again: I'm not in a hurry :cool:

Amigafanboi

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Dorset
@Mcvenco

I have the exact identical setup to you minus the 4mb expansion card.

Would you know what's the best way to set it up so the DKB uses the burst feature of the CPU?

The manual says it supports that feature whereas the onboard ram of the A2630 does not.

I set CPU command in startup sequence to use but i get nag screens from Intuition asking me to close the CPU output window at startup and it's a bit annoying.

Top Bottom