A2000 battery fix easy

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
I was thinking of doing this one since it seems right on with a 2000..[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]standard AA-battery holder. A 3.6V lithium AA-size cell then all ya have to do is wire wrap a good leg from the board and our done voltage says the same as the old battery...I found this on the GBA1000 site..

[/FONT] gba1000-025 battery.jpg

gba1000-024 Battery holder.jpg

Also never post after taking a sleeping pill it kicks in at the wrong time..lol

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Just make sure that if you're not using a rechargeable battery, you insert a diode to stop the Amiga trying to recharge it!

Conventionally, you can either replace the battery with a new NiMH barrel battery (This is the logical replacement) or you can do the coin battery hack (I did that to my A2000: /showthread.php?p=37077

I don't know about battery chemistry to know if that AA cell will work, but if the current and voltage is right, I guess it should do the job.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Soldering skills

Soldering skills

My soldering skills are pretty good but if I can find a fix without soldering i'll
take it since this is my only 2000 and have waited a long time to get one
and the less soldering the better..

Chris :Doh:

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
if your not wishing to solder why dont you just remove the battery and not replace it, my understanding is that its only needed if your miggy to keep the time and date.

Mike

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Also keep a close eye on any of these standardised batteries. If anything they are even more prone to leaking (and often sooner) then the original ones supplied with 2000's.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Plan

Plan

I plan on mounting the battery holder on the back side of the 2000 so it's easer to change no taking the case off..

Chris

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
BTW: metal hydrite batteries leaks, too.

The problem with large battery packs is they don't get enough current to charge up.

So the best approach is still the old coin battery cell plus germanium diode.

Top Bottom