a2000 junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
No matter what you do, no matter how much money you spend and no matter how gentle you are, keeping 20 year old hardware going is a real pain in the a$%e.

I just had an a2000 rev 6.4 MB upgraded to two mb chip onboard, installed it into a nice clean a2k case with scsi dvdrom and 2gb scsi hd. Installed an EGS Spectrum gfx card, gvp g-force 030/40 with 16 mb, 8up with 6mb fast, 3.1 roms and flicker fixer scan doubler card.

Installed OS 3.9, boing bags etc. Working perfectly.

Go back the next day and it crashes intermittantly, will not boot at times etc.

Think I tracked it down to the gvp card. Yanked it out, reseated the ram simms, cleaned the edge connector etc. Reinstalled it - nothing, will no longer boot.

Pull the card - goes straight to ks 3.1 screen.

Reseated the clock crystal, cleaned the cpu slot etc.

Reinstalled the gvp card - still nothing. Blank screen.

Unbelievable.

Anyone have any ideas before the whole system rejoins the earth from which it came?

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Well, I cannot help you much. Unfortunately any computer is just piece of hardware and tends to broke form time to time, sorry.
Just wanted to say that before moving everything to trash it's better to check CPU board on another A2000 if you have someone in your neighborhood. Can be difficult, I know…

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
It has now met its maker. :)

Well, at least I feel a little better now. On to the next one.

Can a mod please close this thread.

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Do you nean that this is smashed into pieces?
Too bad, I could buy something from you for my another project... :(

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
I have spent so much time and money on the pos that smashing it was simply the only option to make me feel any better.

Except for the mouse (which escaped unscatched as it detached itself as I threw the case) there is not really anything worth salvaging - unless you are chasing assorted chips from an EGS SPectrum, G-Force 030 A2091 or 8up card.

The scan doubler might be ok - looks like only a single cap broke off it.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
OMG! Do you mean you actually dumped the case??? :eek:
As has been said before, one man's/mam's junk is another man's/mam's treasure! I believe there would surely be someone interested in that case..
Even for modds! I personally couldn't afford a case sent from down under, but for example a few plastic blinds from the 3.5" or 5.25" bays would be usefull!
People, please don't abuse your miggys, even if they're dead!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
It sounds like he smashed the whole thing up RTG card, Accel, everything.

You could have sold the parts and got some of your money back, its a great shame, but I guess its up to you what you do with your kit.

Its just such a waste, especially when there are people looking for spares like A2000 Mobo :(

Steve.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
After all the time and money I have just spent on it, total destruction was the only viable course of action.

I am a reasonably patient man, but after pain stakingly replacing everything (caps and all), cleaning and assembling the machine it had absolutely no right to be a pain in the a$%e. :)

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Who knows which part/parts were causing the system to play up? It could very well have been the rtg card (although it appeared mint). Could have been the GVP G-Force (ive had quite a few of those gvp 64 pin simms die on me in the past), could have been the a2k mb, altough this would be doubtful as it just had a new agnus socket fitted, new ram put on the MB, new ks 3.1 roms and all caps replaced.

Point is, the care which was lathered onto this project machine from the word go should have ruled out ANY problems - I even replaced things that dont usually NEED to be replaced, just to be sure.

Still it crashed like an albanian air line...

Now, when I get my two a4k Mbs back from COMPLETELY being rebuilt, down to NEW simm sockets etc they had better perform perfectly, otherwise they get the same treatment.

I hereby put ALL my miggy gear on notice - if Im good enough to spend a fortune restoring you to factory condition, you better f^&king well work... or else.

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
@abraXXious,
I understand your frustration very well - in the past I've destroyed some electronic boards too (boards which I built by myself).;) I was so frustrating that I felt big relief once I saw these boards smashed and this feeling WAS WORTH to loose some money. (y)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
True, maybe it's worthy to express ones self that way, feel good etc.
But isn't it even worthier to know you can make other fellow Amigans happier? :)

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
But isn't it even worthier to know you can make other fellow Amigans happier? :)
Under the conditions that they are 100% ok. If they are not 100% ok (which seems to be the case), some Amigans can be angry as well. ;)

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I'm sure people here inclusing myself would have bought some of that hardware, shame it's all busted up now. You really could have made most of your money back.
The only computer i've ever smashed to bits was an old Dell PIII PC a few years ago... and it's never been missed :D

Amigafanboi

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Dorset
I would just buy a cheap Atari on Feepay and take frsutrations out on that :whistle:

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
ANYTHING will zorro slots is nothing but trouble - this has been my experience time and time again. After a couple of years of giving them a wide birth I think to myself - "I'll have another go at it. I'm sure if a get a late model mb in vgc and then have it fully restored BEFORE I even start it HAS to be reliable. Nope, no matter what your do a2ks, a3ks and a4ks are incredably unreliable. This is such a shame as I prefer the big box Amigas.

I NEVER have these problems with a600s and a1200s, even with cpu cards, ide buffers etc etc.

Zorro slots simply are very badly manufactured. The little metal fingers do not spring back properly, so after inserting/removing a card a few dozens times, the mb is then a throw away job. :(

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Errm

I had a turbo card conk out on be, so I sold it and got my money back. This is sensible.

You had a graphics card, a peice of fluff, conk out on you, so you smashed the entire machine. This just shows you've got anger problems.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
@ Hells_Labs - its a masculine thing mate. You see, us men (irrationally perhaps) take pleasure in destroying those things which taunt us.

You should try it sometime, you might surprise yourself. :)

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
I think you should stick to using an emulator from now on.

edit: Also declining your request to close the thread so more people can see what was done here. It could help them decide for themselves if they should sell you more hard to find amiga parts that might end up suffering your wrath.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
After all the time and money I have just spent on it, total destruction was the only viable course of action.

I am a reasonably patient man, but after pain stakingly replacing everything (caps and all), cleaning and assembling the machine it had absolutely no right to be a pain in the a$%e. :)

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Who knows which part/parts were causing the system to play up? It could very well have been the rtg card (although it appeared mint). Could have been the GVP G-Force (ive had quite a few of those gvp 64 pin simms die on me in the past), could have been the a2k mb, altough this would be doubtful as it just had a new agnus socket fitted, new ram put on the MB, new ks 3.1 roms and all caps replaced.

Point is, the care which was lathered onto this project machine from the word go should have ruled out ANY problems - I even replaced things that dont usually NEED to be replaced, just to be sure.

Still it crashed like an albanian air line...

Now, when I get my two a4k Mbs back from COMPLETELY being rebuilt, down to NEW simm sockets etc they had better perform perfectly, otherwise they get the same treatment.

I hereby put ALL my miggy gear on notice - if Im good enough to spend a fortune restoring you to factory condition, you better f^&king well work... or else.

Oh my, oh my!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

At least, i could be interested in the passthrough cable from the EGS Spectrum if it has survived the rampage.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
He didn't smash it, he clearly is just wanting a reaction from us. Chances are it's probably in a loft somewhere or on evilBay. :coffee:

Nope, no matter what your do a2ks, a3ks and a4ks are incredably unreliable. This is such a shame as I prefer the big box Amigas.

I NEVER have these problems with a600s and a1200s, even with cpu cards, ide buffers etc etc.
Well sorry to sound rude here but that's a pretty idiotic question, you HAVE to expect them to be more troublesome since the whole concept of these variations of Amiga's where alot more advanced from their in-built keyboard counterparts (thus being more complex and having alot more components, making it susceptible to being less reliable).

Owning an old computer is alot like owning a classic car, you got to be in the mind-set to maintain it. If your not upto it then you really should look towards emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom