A2000 only 8MB ram ?

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I've read somewhere that the A2000 only can handle 8MB ram.

I guess thats in native mode with no accelerator cards, right ?

Will the following setup work ?

GVP Combo 030 with 8MB, + Zorro II 8MB

which is faster, Zorro II ram or ram on the GVP card ?

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
The zorro II bus can only take up to 8mb of RAM, yes.

The GVP Combo cards have a jumper to assign the 32bit memory in the zorro II space, or extended space. You chose. The GVP RAM cant be in the zorro II space if you already have 8mb RAM card in the zorro space, of course.

Zorro II ram is 24bit, and the RAM on the GVP card is 32bit, so the GVP RAM is faster when accessed by the GVP onboard CPU.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
As Matt says, a vanilla 24-bit A2000 can address up to 8MB FastRAM, if you want more, you'll need a 32-bit accelerator. If you've got 8MB in the Z2 space, you'll want the '030 to put all its RAM into the 32-bit space.

As for speed, the 32-bit RAM on the accelerator will be much faster access for the CPU, but if you've got a Z2 DMA card (A2091 or similar) it's still worth having a couple of megs of Z2 FastRAM, since Z2 cards can't DMA into the 32-bit space of an accelerator.

My A2000 is set up like this, I've got an A2091 with 2MB of FastRAM on it for DMA transfers, and 16MB more on the CPU card for efficient use of the '030.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
hmm ok, thanks :)

I'm still a noob with all the Zorro slot thingies.. since only until last week have I ever owned a A500 + A1200.

I'm pondering if I should add 2x4Meg modules to my GVP, or just add a 8Meg Zorro card.

If I buy at softhut there's a USD $10 difference where the GVP mem is the more expensive, but I guess it's worth it.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
How are you connecting a hard disk to the machine? If it's a Z2 DMA card, it's probably worth trying to get a couple of megs in the 24-bit address space.

Otherwise, RAM on the accelerator card is going to be faster. Is there any RAM on the CPU card at all? If there's none, you'll not get anywhere near the optimal performance.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If you modify the original PSU using a smaller ATX unit (with its own case), then you can hack your own GVP SIMM. The hacked ones are a lot taller and clashes with the original PSU.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
there is already 8 Megs (4mb soldered, and 1 4mb module) on the GVP card, and I'm using SCSI disks since it's a combo card. there's also a Malibu controller with a single disk attached to it.

I think I'm just going to buy the 2x4Meg modules.. too much trouble (for now) with hacking the 72pin sims :)

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
Connect your SCSI hard drive(s) to the GVP combo SCSI port!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
In which case, stuff the 24-bit Zorro II RAM entirely! If you're using a combo card, the CPU and the SCSI DMA will happen in 32-bit RAM. Stick as much RAM on the accelerator as you possibly can.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Fill up all the gaps, so none is empty.. *gotcha*

a shame I can only find 4meg modules then.. but hey.. I still have my A1200 for doing heavy duty stuff ;-)

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
when you say you can only find 4 Meg modules, do you mean RAM cards with only 4 Meg of Ram on them? Just curious, as Ed has a memory card that has 8 Meg of Ram on it. But it's a really weird looking Memory card. Uses dip for 2 megs and the other 6 megs is socketed. Strange.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I assume he means GVP SIMMs for the G-Force. I believe larger SIMMs exist, but it doesn't really matter, since the G-Force can only take up to 4MB SIMMs anyway.

@Tomse: If you can max the card out at 16MB, it'll be sweet! Good luck!

Finally, if you do decide that even 16MB isn't enough for your needs, you can still add the 8MB of 24-bit FastRAM as well.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Andy is right: GVP made some 16Mb SIMM, but they are rare as hens teeth and the GVP combo will not recognize those.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
yeah, it was the mem modules.. and yes, the 030 combo cannot handle more than 4MB modules..

but I guess anyway, that 16 MB fast mem should be enough ;-)

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
GVP 16MB simms aren't rare. You can buy them brand new from Softwarehut. They aren't cheap, but they certainly aren't rare. GVP-m still makes them and sells them directly through Softwarehut.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I think you are mistaken ?
I did go through softwarehut. and they only have 4 megs modules for the GVP.

but it doesn't matter. the combo 030 only supports 1 and/or 4 Megs modules. ;)

Top Bottom