A3000 doesn't like having hard drives

RuneRider

A1000 Keeper of the Faith
Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I just installed the ROMs for my A3000 and it will only boot from floppy and then only if the hard drives are disconnected. I made the mistake of connecting the SCSI cable with the drive assembly in and missed. I found that the last two pins on the connector from the motherboard were bent and thus not connected to the cable. :picard I straightened them out and the connection seems ok.

I also think the Maxtor is dead since it won't spin up anymore and it's the drive with the termination. Also, the terminator packs are different for the two drives do I can't use the Maxtor packs on the Quantum and must leave the former installed for termination.

1. Could the bent pins have done damage?
2. Could the bad connection have killed the Maxtor drive?
3. Even if it's dead shouldn't the drive terminate the chain?
4. When finding bad drives shouldn't the computer attempt to boot from floppy instead of doing nothing?

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

tactica

Country
Spain
Region
La Coruña
Under normal circumstances, yes, the computer should try to boot from floppy if no suitable partition is detected, but "normal circumstances" don't include dead hard drives, drives plugged the wrong way or a couple of pins possibly shorted somewhere in the motherboard. Besides, a dead drive can certainly prevent a computer from booting, not even "modern" computers are immune to that.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Under normal circumstances, yes, the computer should try to boot from floppy if no suitable partition is detected, but "normal circumstances" don't include dead hard drives, drives plugged the wrong way or a couple of pins possibly shorted somewhere in the motherboard. Besides, a dead drive can certainly prevent a computer from booting, not even "modern" computers are immune to that.

While the pins are now fine and the cable is plugged normally I still worry about what may have taken place when they were bent and not connected.

I'll have to locate some terminators for the Quantum drive to see if the machine acts normally with just one drive or not. Since the internal floppy is acting up I'm glad to be able to boot from an external... and even more glad that one of the six I have still works.

Thank you for your help.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I've found another Quantum SCSI drive in an old Macintosh external bay and used the terminator resistors from that drive. The A3000 now boots with the just Quantum attached but does not show the drive. HDtools found the drive but unfortunately the Workbench 3.1 HD install disk that came with my order has errors and needs to be replaced before I can do anything further.

The Maxtor is certainly dead. So much for seeing what was on it. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom