A3000 fitting the 040 c= board

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I tried fitting a recently aquired original 040 cpu board in the a3000 but it won't because my memory board is in it's way.

I saw putting original memory in it is out of the question, since having 16 mb would be rather :blink::blink: (not in doubt of sellers currently selling, but sorry to expensive..)

I already contact djbase, his memory board won't fit in either with the cpu board he tells me :whistle:

Any suggestions about that problem welcome

desantii

Banned
Country
Chicago
I had a friend with the same issue, he chose to sell the 040 and kept the 16mb of ram. They are not mutually compatible

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It's rather stupid, getting a cpu board and not knowing it won't fit because of memory upgrade :(

The 030 combination feels swift with the scsi and ram :huh: that's a comfort, and the cybervision card performs reasonable with the O30 to..

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
An A3000D with a healthy 030 @25MHz is a wonderful machine. Ditch the SIMM to ZIP adaptor only if you can use another accelerator than the uber-cr4p A3640.

One with memory on it, that's it. Even an Apollo 3040 (the 4040 version will clash with the case). A Warp Engine is another perfect solution and is the cheapest accelerator you can find (but the A3640, of course).;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@jvdbossc

could angled simm sockets help with this problem?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The C= CPU board 040 hits the memory adapter badly, the memory adapter is a rectangular board with the sockets for the 386 type memory straight to the sky, there is no way it fits like this...(properly) Djbase comfirmes his board has the same.. and he is selling it with the ram // (zetro)

Anyhow, thanks for helping out..!!

... oh .. I'll need to decide wich amiga get's the goodies then, since I don't have the budget to maximize every unit i've got, nor space, I just wan't one unit on the desk all the time..

amigafan

Banned
Country
Poland
Region
Warsaw
Why putting original memory in it instead of ZIP to SIMM adapter is out of the question?
That's way you could have both - 040 and 16 MB Fast.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Amigafan, the orignal ram is to expensive I think...I am going for 50 eu max.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
You could always try and track down one of these:
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/amifast

It looks like it moves the SIMMs away from the CPU card slot, so might be compatible with the A3640. It all depends on if you can find it for a sensible price.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
It's a very good question, since I'd been considering trying to do the same to my A3000 (if I ever get it fixed!)

An A3640 with 16MB on-board RAM would make a quite formidable machine, but appears to be impractical. So the options are:

1. Try and find enough ZIP DRAMs to fully-populate the A3000. Plug in the A3640 and be happy.
2. Pass on the A3640, use a Z2S adapter, be happy with an '030.
3. Pass on the ZIP sockets entirely, get either an accelerator with on-board Fast RAM, or use an A3640 with a ZorRAM, Z3 Fastlane or DKB 3128.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
I too have the same dilemma: I have a nice, working 3000 with 16MB on a Simm Board, and a spare 3640 rev 3.1.

I also have 12MB of Static ZIPs.

I could replace the 16MB with the ZIPs and try the 3640, but it won't work with my versions of RAMSEY and DMAC, apparently...

It's working, it's stable. I keep feeling that I ought to try it out, but then I just use the 3000 :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I too have the same dilemma: I have a nice, working 3000 with 16MB on a Simm Board, and a spare 3640 rev 3.1.

I also have 12MB of Static ZIPs.

I could replace the 16MB with the ZIPs and try the 3640, but it won't work with my versions of RAMSEY and DMAC, apparently...

It's working, it's stable. I keep feeling that I ought to try it out, but then I just use the 3000 :)

I'm not sure the RAMSEY/DMAC issue is quite what people make of it. I've heard rumours that rev 3.2 A3640s will work in an A3000 anyway, and some DMAC-02s have sufficient tolerance to work with A3640s anyway. It'd be interesting to find out!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The performance is ok, but it is a little slow when opening lots of ICONS, display rtg is cybergraphics 3D.

Maybe this machine just wan'ts workbench 3.1 .. Instead of OS 3.9 up to unofficial bag 3 and afaos ed...

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I think that's the biggest kicker. If you're running an A3000 as a second Amiga, an A3640 is a nice and fairly inexpensive way to boost its CPU capabilities, but to get the best benefit from that, you really do want as much on-board RAM as you can manage.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
ZorRAM would be the better option,

its very low-profile too, and should be faster access and bandwidth than the motherboard fast ram

I would suggest somthing like 2MB Chip + 2MB motherboard FAST (speeds up autoconfigs) and a 128MB (or more) ZorRAM

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If I take Zetro 's advice that would mean that it is payable route ...

Where is the chip ram ? Is it the strange memory to ? Or is it on the mobo somewhere else ?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
ZorRAM would be the better option,

its very low-profile too, and should be faster access and bandwidth than the motherboard fast ram

I would suggest somthing like 2MB Chip + 2MB motherboard FAST (speeds up autoconfigs) and a 128MB (or more) ZorRAM

Perhaps you might want to seek out the cheaper 256Kx4 ZIPs and fully-populate the ZIP sockets with 4MB of that, or fit 4MB of DIP DRAM (also valid configuration) and fit a ZorRAM or other Z3 RAM card and fit the A3640.

I think that's probably the way I'd go for my A3000

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Ok, were getting somewhere at least :D I'll have to see if I can obtain a turbo bard that fits... I'll hold on and post some news on here !

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If I take Zetro 's advice that would mean that it is payable route ...

Where is the chip ram ? Is it the strange memory to ? Or is it on the mobo somewhere else ?

The Chip RAM is at the other side of the board (towards the front-left of the case) there's 1MB of soldered DIP modules, and another bank of sockets for a 2nd MB, in DIP form.

Most A3000s were shipped with the soldered 1MB of DIP and another 1MB of DIP in the Fast RAM section. The idea was when you bought some ZIPs, you could migrate the existing DIP RAM into the ChipRAM section and have 2MB Chip.

Edit: Here's a shiny piccy to explain things more:
a3000ram.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmos

Banned
Country
France
Region
Besançon
>The C= CPU board 040 hits the memory adapter

I'm ok to desolder the zip sockets and solder directly the excelent DJBase
memory upgrade on the A3000D board : 10 euros + shipping back to you !

(y)

Top Bottom