A3K and CD Probz

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
Pulled my old cd-rom drive out of the storage box to install a fresh copy of OS3.9 and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm 98% sure I have the scsi termination correct. I can see the drive in hd-toolbox and every other system app just fine. System says CD0: is mounted but when I put a disc in the drive I don't get an icon on WB. Re-installed AsimCDFS but same thing.

So my first thought was that the drive was dead and didn't recognize disc inserts. So I bough another dive from a different bay but it's doing the exact same thing. I suppose the 'new' drive could have the same problem but it seems rather odd.

I've attached the drives internally, externally, on the main A3K scsi buss and on the 2091 and no luck. Unfortunately my A1K doesn't have scsi and I have no other way of testing the drives.

Any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks.

LTAC

AmiBayer
Country
FRANCE
Region
South of PARIS
If you've checked all material (CDROM/SCSI) around your fresh copy of OS3.9, you can perhaps consider that your fresh copy of OS3.9 is not good! :coffee: (or the A3K!).
What's the revision of your SCSI CONTROLLER?

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
I've tried several different CD's that I know work in my PC such as Aminet disc's also. I have rev 08 scsi chips and no other problems at all with the A3K. All other scsi drives work just fine.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
As a suggestion if you are using the old 33C93 SCSI chip (-02/-04), boot the Amiga with the CD inserted.

Also sack the termination pack on the motherboard for using external devices.

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
@rkaur: Tried booting w/ a disc in the drive with no luck. I do have rev -08 scsi chip and the motherboard terminators are pulled. The SCSI id of both drives is 5 (obviously not running them both at once). I've tried both drives internal and external with no luck.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Are you using an active terminator inside? If so you must use another active unit on the external device, too.

Centronics active terminators are very common and easy to find. Then turn the termination on the CD off.

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
@rkauerr: Not using any active termination internally. Is this what you mean by Centronics terminator? I've tried with that thing on and off and the drive's termination dip switch both on and off.

Ok, no idea what I did differently, but I have one of the drives working from the internal SCSI bus. Maybe I just needed to connect and disconnect it a few dozen times :nuts:

Now to figure out running it externally... :coffee:

Thanks for all the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0194 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0194 (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
Did you tried to open the cd-rom from the cli?
open a cli and type in cd0:

Or you used a wrong ID in the cd0 file or the wrong .device
Which id show hd toolbox? is this also in the cd0 file ?
I remember that you must change the cd0: on line "device" to cybscsi.device
(if you use asim)

Top Bottom