A3K Guru's after battery hack

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I replaced the battery in my 3K today and when I power it up it starts to boot then after about 20 seconds I get the a Guru # 8000 0003. Click the left mouse button and it tries to boot and then the same guru.

I pulled all the expansion cards and HD's and tried booting from floppy with the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
when you say replace, did you clean any prior damage?

At the moment we need to lock down what could be happening

1. Its possible in removing the battery we have damaged a capictor or other component
2. Perhaps some cleaning fluid found it way into a capacitor ?
3. In installing the new battery somthing was nudged or damaged?
4. Take some pics so we can see if anything else can help. =)

da9000

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA
An 80000003 is an Illegal memory address error, so perhaps there's been some tracks or component as Zetr0 said that is failing due to battery or installation damage? Just a thought. I always try things with a minimum setup, so just ChipRAM, if possible. Also, where's the fault occurring, is there a memory address given along with the guru?

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
I cleaned it up best I could with lemon juice and then electronics cleaner. There wasn't a whole lot really. A bit of oxidation on resistor R469 and C495.

Anyway's I found the problem. I've had the machine apart for the past week and completely forgot about the 8MB of new fast ram I just put in :Doh: Pulled all the zip's and the machine booted just fine. So I''m going to re-insert all zip's and hopefully everything will be ok.

I'm going to shorten up the wires on the battery holder a bit and I have some heat shrink to cover the diode.

Attachments

• A3K.jpg
    A3K.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@LamboJay

Glad you got a resolve =)

da9000

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA
Good to hear! It's probably only a configuration issue and it is isolated. Be very meticulous about inserting the ZIP RAM, to make sure you don't miss a leg. I would also insert 2 chips at a time, and then boot and run a memory testing program (ex: MBRTest2 from Microbotics, can grab here: http://amiga.resource.cx/install/M1230XA-101.dms) because as you do that, you can at the same time narrow down any issues with a particular chip.

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
@da9000: Good plan. I'm leaving for NY in the morning and will attack the 3K when I get back Monday.

Thanks guys!

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
Ok, I'm back home today. Re-inserted all my zip chips and the computer is booting just fine. Thought I was careful when installing the new chips but obviously I missed something.

Thanks again.

da9000

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA
Happens to me too... ZIP RAMs are... idiosyncratic.

Sometimes the crud and/or oxidation layers on the sockets causes issues like these. Anyways, glad it's all back in order and you can start having some fun with that A3000!

Cheers!

Top Bottom