A4000 case is a stolen design?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I've found this odd computer on my search through interwebs...

Is the A4000D case a stolen design????
Wang-PC260-750.jpg

Opinions?

Oh, and BTW: I think this is a case of urgent Retr0bright treatment!

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
That's really odd m8. But who stole who? :D

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
I just read that a rumour was that Commodore managment just before CBM went bankrupt, ordered the A4000 redesigned to fit the Commodore PC case, because they had a surplus of them. it may have something to do with it.
Amiga History website states:
"Many people remember Commodore for their 8-bit and Amiga machines, but many forget that they also made PC's as well. These were fairly non-descript machine ranging from the 8088 to the 486 processors. Commodore first began to produce PC's around 1987 and continued until 1993. When the company reorganised the PC division was one of the first to be cut. Their PC sales never compared to the number of Amigas sold and towards the end they were allegedly making a loss. A rumour circulated after Commodore's demise suggested that the company ordered their engineers to alter the A4000 design, allowing it to be sold in their existing supply of PC cases."http://www.homecomputer.de/pages/f_commodore.html

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
yes indeed I saw a couple of times an A4000 d case that contained a pc, that was an exact look a like.

I don't understand about "stolen design" the case above does not look at all as a A4000d, they have nothing common whatsover..

My first clone pc had the same look as the case above by the way..

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I also don't think the case looks that similar to the A4000's. However I did notice it has the name WANG on it. Wasn't that the name of the company in the UK responsible for Amiga repairs?

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Wasn't that the name of the company in the UK responsible for Amiga repairs?

Well remembered Big H, there was a service card in the box of my A500 for their repair centre.

Typical PC "clone" case though innit

TC :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Let's face it, the A4000 case was basically a PC desktop clone. Not nearly as stylish as the A3000 case.

Still, the A4000T case is pretty beautiful, even if it is just a PC AT case. :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It is clear that amiga killed the c= 8 bit line.. I don't think it exists in large numbers, the 128D with 5,25 yes, but eh 3,x never seen one.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The C128 case looks nearly identical to an A1000. Shows how C= carried their designs on through different products.

It also makes sense to design cases that can be used for more than one product. Really saves money.

Did anyone here actually own a Commodore PC? I remember at the time thinking their spec wasn't quite at the top end.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I sold pentium 1XX with C= label on. (it was my first job by the way):whistle:

I don't know who made that line, it clearly stated commodore.

They were not a hot product, little overpriced, mostly behind the specs, probably old stock.

Only remember them going when advertising with an undercut price, then you'd better not stand in the way :wooha: (or you would be ranover:nuts:)

Must admit, maybe saw 40 or 50 going, never had one back. The only one that got back came back for a memory upgrade, since it were no generous specs.:nod:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Hmm, I see a 128D, I see a Chinon FB354, I see a 1581 ROM and front bezel - I see a case mod project! :twisted:

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Am I alone finding a PC labeled "Wang" hilarious?

Oh and sorry to burst your bubble rkauer, that A3500 case isn't a copy, its identical and C= bought the rights to use the case (as far as I know). :)

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I never had an A3000, but for the A4000 design, I see this as a look a like

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/miscCPUs/sl386.gif
Apparently Commodore had loads of these sorts of cases around and to shift them they just shoved PC gubbens inside and flogged them off as C= PeeCees.
I can't quite remember why they had these cases about or what their original intention was to do with them (maybe a prototype A4000?).

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
This is no different to car designers. They all pinch each others ideas, as does fashion. ;)

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Car makes actually often go the other way with their designs. Sticking different bodies on the same chassis. Sometimes people can be quite surprised what is actually under their shiny looking car.

Jaguar X-Type = Ford Mondeo
Saab 93 = Vauxhall Vectra
Citreon Saxa = Peugeot 106
Peugeot 607 = Citreon C5
VW Beetle = VW Golf

.. etc.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region