A4000 dont boot when CDRW connected

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Hi all,
Yesterday i decided to open my A4000D and take out the 3640 and replace it with my T-Rex 040@40Mhz with 32Mb ram. All went good untill i connected the CDRW. The HD no longer boots with the IDE cable connected to the CDRW and the HD light just stays on. When the 3640 was in, everything worked fine. After the T-rex went in, the HD only boots if the CDRW is not connected. I did not try putting the 3640 back in to see if it would all work again as it was getting late and i packed everything up. Is there a jumper i need to change on the T-Rex to fix the problem?? I will try again with a new IDE cable when i get some free time just in case the cable is the culprit, but does anyone know if the jumpers on the T-Rex have anything to do with it??

Cheers

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Have you set the hard drive and CD drive as Master and Slave? If they are both set to Master, the IDE bus will hang with the symptoms you describe.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Have you set the hard drive and CD drive as Master and Slave? If they are both set to Master, the IDE bus will hang with the symptoms you describe.

Yes they are setup as master and slave. Nothing inside the A4000 was changed except for the CPU cards. I dont get as to why this is happening.

Laudrup

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Berlin

Yes they are setup as master and slave. Nothing inside the A4000 was changed except for the CPU cards. I dont get as to why this is happening.

Hi Biagio,

the 3640 needs the jumper setting EXT. A turbo board like the CSII needs INT. Maybe the TRex too.

cheers

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Yes the jumpers on the mobo were changed and all is good except for when i connect the CDRW. I wont get time till next week now to stuff about with the A4000. If i cannot get it working, i am just going to run everything of the Buddha Phoenix and terminate the IDE port on the mobo. Hopefully i dont get the same trouble using the Buddha.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
Is it possible that you have plugged the cable on the wrong way around, on either the motherboard of one of the devices.. red line on ribbon to pin 1 on motherboard and pin 1 on hd and cd.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@AmigaNut08

I had the same problem trying to setup a DVDRW on my A4000, sadly I can't give you a solution as a few days later my Buddha Flash turned up and I'm running my DVDRW off of that now and a CF-IDE off the native IDE. All working well for me with that config.

However at the time I tried with different cables and also tried plugging in the IDE's the other way round, no matter what it would not boot with both my CF-IDE and DVDRW on the same IDE cable.

Steve.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
When you boot, eject the drive and see if it finishes booting with the tray ejected. I had this sort of problem with the first CD/DVD drive I used on my A4000D. I have since replaced it with a different model. The interesting thing is that it worked with my 3.0 ROMs with the A3640, but not with the 3.1 ROMs.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I had exactly the same as Fitzsteve, it did not get solved, but hey I am going scsi ..

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
One trick for problems of this nature is to cut pin one on the ide cable, which I believe is the reset line. Worked for a few issues on the A1200 - although I think that was to cope with slow HDD spinups.

May be worth a try if you have a spare cable?

Top Bottom