A4000 floppy drive

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
will any amiga disk drives work in a A4K?

does anyone know the correct numbers that should be in the A4K? i know the 357A is the HD version, what is the standard version?

thanks, JuvUK

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
will any amiga disk drives work in a A4K?

does anyone know the correct numbers that should be in the A4K? i know the 357A is the HD version, what is the standard version?

thanks, JuvUK

Any Amiga floppy will work in an A4K. If you want the 'original' drive, that's either an FB-357A (30mm drive, only can fit one in the standard A4KD case) or the FZ-357A (25mm drive, can fit two in the standard A4KD case)

Those are both the HD versions, I don't know if the A4000 was ever shipped with a DD drive. If it was, it would likely be an FZ-354 (25mm drive) or possibly (although unlikely) an FB-354. FB-354s are the standard A500, A2000 and A3000 drives.

Holy crap, I seem to be turning into some kind of crazy floppy drive guru madman! Somebody shoot me now!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
thanks Andy,
great info. so as all i want is a standard amiga floppy disk reader, and amiga floppy drive will be OK?

if this is so, then i'll post a wanted thread for any old miggy drive:)

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
Holy crap, I seem to be turning into some kind of crazy floppy drive guru madman! Somebody shoot me now!

OK. :)

AFAIK Only DF1 can be SD Drive on standard A4000, DF0 must be a HD one. Switching between SD or HD DF1 is done with a jumper J351. There is no similar jumper for DF0.

Besides Chinon 357's and 354's there are Panasonic (Matsushita) and NEC drives for Amiga, but none of them are HD.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
so if i leave the hd floppy in the A4K as DH0 but add any old miggy drive as DF1 i should be able to install disks using DF1? my HD floopy reads a disk, finds a disk, chugs a little, loses the disk, refinds the disk, reads the disk fine, chugs a little more, reads the disk, finds some errors (on a know working disk) then loses the disk and so on and so forth:(

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
so if i leave the hd floppy in the A4K as DH0 but add any old miggy drive as DF1 i should be able to install disks using DF1?

Yes.

my HD floopy reads a disk, finds a disk, chugs a little, loses the disk, refinds the disk, reads the disk fine, chugs a little more, reads the disk, finds some errors (on a know working disk) then loses the disk and so on and so forth:(

Sounds like it needs either cleaning, switch replacement or calibration. (In worst case head realignment.)

E.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
so if i leave the hd floppy in the A4K as DH0 but add any old miggy drive as DF1 i should be able to install disks using DF1?

Yes.

my HD floopy reads a disk, finds a disk, chugs a little, loses the disk, refinds the disk, reads the disk fine, chugs a little more, reads the disk, finds some errors (on a know working disk) then loses the disk and so on and so forth:(

Sounds like it needs either cleaning, switch replacement or calibration. (In worst case head realignment.)

E.

anyone know how to do any of the above? I have ran a disk cleaner through it but to no avail

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
I have two SD drives working 100% on my A4KD.

I bought this drives to Amigakit time a go...... The only "issue" is the cable, I needed to self-made one with the correct crossed pins (I don't remember now what pins... but this evening it's possible to check, if you want).

Also, I configure DF1: at the mobo (jumper J351) to work as 880k drive... and everything is OK

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
so you don't have to have a HD floppy?

@merlinkv, any information is good information bud, thanks(y)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Correct. I've ran an A4000 with 2x HD drives, 2x DD drives, even disabled the on-board floppy controller and used an external drive as DF0.

To be fair, I've never actually tested the HD-ness of the drives, just used DD disks, but the combination of drives was basically fine.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@JuvUK

I have two SD on the A4KD and two HD on the A4KD-T.

I tested some combinations, but finally I decide this. The two systems are working fine.

Cheers m8 (y)

Last edited:

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
anyone know how to do any of the above? I have ran a disk cleaner through it but to no avail

Problem loosing-refinding disc is most likely due to corroded switch that determines if disk is inserted.

Try to run X-copy on it and read the disk.
1) If errors appear on upper head only, head needs to be realigned. (You will need someone very skilled to do that)

2) If errors appear only on the highest or lowest tracks it is most likely due to lose spring of the head.

3) If disk starts reading it fine but at some moment just starts to create errors it is due to stepping mechanism. (this can be just due to poor lubrication, but i suppose the motor and mechanism can be replaced from similar drive (even SD one).

4) If errors are completely random it can be number of things: from motor speed, poor caps or bad (damaged) head.

See what you can check or do on your own.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Correct. I've ran an A4000 with 2x HD drives, 2x DD drives, even disabled the on-board floppy controller and used an external drive as DF0.

To be fair, I've never actually tested the HD-ness of the drives, just used DD disks, but the combination of drives was basically fine.

I tested this things a looong time ago, but I'm pretty sure you can not boot from SD DF0. And unless already formated, new floppies will be always recognised as HD and you will not be able to format them to SD.

Combination Internal SD as DF1 and external SD as DF0 will work just fine.

E.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I bought this drives to Amigakit time a go...... The only "issue" is the cable, I needed to self-made one with the correct crossed pins (I don't remember now what pins... but this evening it's possible to check, if you want).

As I recall, pins 4-6 are supposed to be 'twisted' on the DF0 end of the cable. The Big C= shipped some A4000s with floppy ribbons that had pins 3-5 twisted instead. They seemingly work ok with one floppy drive, but are no good for installing a second drive. I remember checking this when I first played with my A4000, even borrowed the ribbon from the A2000 to check all was working correctly.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Twisting 3-5 will do nothing at all: all odd pins on floppy connector are ground.

The problem on the drive is securely only the insertion detect switch with bad contact: clean it using IPA or a small drop of penetrating oil (like WD40). Put the oil on a small container and use a toothpick to transport it to drive sensor. Click the switch a few times and it will work again.

A final word: the A4000 can operate with an ordinary Amiga DD drive with no problem at all: the HD/DD drive is "configured" by the system at boot time from the drive streaming (via ready signal).

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Twisting 3-5 will do nothing at all: all odd pins on floppy connector are ground.

The problem on the drive is securely only the insertion detect switch with bad contact: clean it using IPA or a small drop of penetrating oil (like WD40). Put the oil on a small container and use a toothpick to transport it to drive sensor. Click the switch a few times and it will work again.

thanks m8y, i'll give that a go on the weekend (y)

Top Bottom