A4000 LCD options?

lewism

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Highlands
Hi all,

I've just managed to bag myself an A4000 on eBay, and I'm looking for a bit of advice on options for displays. The machine I'm getting doesn't have a graphics card or any kind of scan doubler / flicker fixer, and I don't currently have an Amiga monitor.

I'd like to get set up in the cheapest way possible for now, I'll probably look into graphics card options in time, but one Amiga purchase is enough for this month :)

My searches have turned up an RGB to VGA monitor adapter on amibay.com, which says that "The SVGA monitor must be able to sync to the Amiga's 31.5Khz signal". I thought that the requirement was lower than that, something like 15Khz?

Whichever the case, could somebody recommend a small LCD display 15"/17" which will work with this? All I'd like right now is to be able to verify the machine works when it arrives, play a few games, and generally get back into the Amiga scene.

Thanks for any advice.

Lewis

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hi,

Good evening! I am afraid very cheap solutions do not exist, some users did report this as a solution:

http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

Anyhow comparing it with the indivision aga or rtg graphic card is sortof, I even would not recomment the indivision aga if you would like to use workbench a lot in high colors...

There are in my opinion no good cheap solutions.. If I were you I would just look for a local crt and make the switch when you have the money.

I recently bought this, but did not came around to make pictures, since the screen is small, it looks all sharp.. And you could integrate it in the future in a machine itself ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Newest-Car-7-...Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP

Struis

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Almere, Flevoland
Well, if I knew that in advance, I would have sold my Amiga here. Hi Lewis, you just bought mine :) Even better, someone from this forum :)

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
If you want to use an LCD with a vanilla A4000, try to find an LG Flatron 173ST. The scart connector in that will synch down to 15 kHz. I would recommend an Indivision AGA and an RTG card with RGB pass-through though. Perhaps not the cheapest solution but definitely the most versatile.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
grab a cheap non hd lcd tv and connect via rgb scart it will do you for now and the picture can be exceptional even with the high res modes on some sets.

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
We're quite lucky in the uk - most lcd tv's have scart sockets here. Any reasonable tft tv will allow you to use the standard pal screens through a standard amiga video to scart connector cable.

I'm using a "UMC" 21 inch screen I got cheap(ish) from a supermarket. Has the benefit of also having vga, hdmi, svideo and a built in dvd player.

It has a sort of de-interlacer built in - amiga interlace pictures are rock steady (when static ;) ) with some lines during movement, but not bad for essentially a "free" feature.

I use it for most of my retro console needs, as well as the current gen stuff. (y)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i agree , im using my 1200 via RGB to scart on a 42 inch tv and the picture is excellent to be honest...why didnt i know about scart in 1988 (?!) i remember tuning various tvs in to channel 28 / 31 or what ever it was - awful picture!

go scart via rgb not via composite .
:LOL:

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales

Mraccess

Country
USA
Region
Virginia
I've got one of the Ambery units. It's nice but does show some faint moving lines in the image. For those of us without SCART it's the best you can get for under 100 USD and will allow you to use virtually any monitor.

lewism

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Highlands
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll go the RGB SCART route for now :)

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Well, if I knew that in advance, I would have sold my Amiga here. Hi Lewis, you just bought mine :) Even better, someone from this forum :)

The phrase "it's a small world" fits pretty well here. I'm a new member of the forum since I started looking for an A4000, but now that I've got the bug I'm sure i'll be around for a long time :)

Thanks again!

Struis

Country
The Netherlands
Region
Almere, Flevoland
The phrase "it's a small world" fits pretty well here. I'm a new member of the forum since I started looking for an A4000, but now that I've got the bug I'm sure i'll be around for a long time :)
Thanks again!

Yes, I thought the same thing... I was playing around with my Commodore stuff and ended up here ;) Also only 2 weeks ago!

I'm looking for a box and packing material to fit snugly and keep it in one piece. One thing I want to make sure of, is that the unit will work when it arrives :)

Top Bottom