A4000 not booting

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
I've just bought an A4000 with CSPPC/040 + CVPPC + some zorrocards.
The problem is that the computer won't boot. It just dispalys a grey screen. (don't know if it's lightgrey or darkgrey)

As it didn't boot i bought an A3630 (and borrowed another one) to see if it was the CSPCC that was dead. But the computer won't boot with these either. So my guess is that it's the motherboard that's toasted.

I've checked all the jumpers and one thing I noticed was that the clocksourcejumpers was not set right when i recieved the computer (see picture). When I tested the jumpers was changed to the correct setting.

fel_jumper_eng.jpg

Could the motherboard have been damaged because of the wrong jumpering? According to the seller the computer was working fine when he stored it and he haven't changed anything.

When I remove the chip-men i get a green display so there seems to be a "little life" in the machine.

Any idea what could be wrong or if it's fixable? Maybe it needs a trip to someone who can repair it.
I'm running out of ideas at the moment..... :(

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
If you have 3.1 roms they can take a while before boot, scanning the ide etc. 30 seconds maybe? If the floppy cable is not right or damaged floppy ive seen it do this too.

Sequence for A4000
Correct Tests Color Sequence Scheme

A4000 presents just a light gray screen during its boot time (it just occurs in 2 or max 3 seconds)
  • Light Gray
  • = Initial hardware configuration tests passed
  • = Initial system software tests passed)
  • = Final initialization test passed
Failed Tests Color Scheme

• Red = ROM Error - Reset or replace
  • Green = CHIP RAM error (reset AGNUS and re-test)
  • Blue = Custom Chip(s) Error
  • Yellow = 68000 detected error before software trapped it (GURU)

Fieldday

Country
Germany
Region
Swabia
Hi,
for a A3630 both Jumper must be on "Int" Position. You better change that first. When you removed chip ram after power on you must get a green screen or something special is with your Amiga. Please poste a picture from the battery area. Often occuring problems from leaking battery and you don´t find any reason why the Amiga not work fine.
Best regards

FD

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
The computer has 3.1 roms.
When I test now I just have the cpu-card installed, nothing else. Waited a couple of minutes.
I've also tested with a IDE-harddrive and a floppy connected but nothing happens.
Does it need a working floppy to boot? I don't know for sure that the floppy works.

When using a A3630 the jumpers are set to INT and when using the CSPPC they were set to EXT.

I do get a green screen when the chip-mem is removed.

Sometimes, not every time, when I power on, the computer gurus (powerlamp flashes) and then tries to boot and screen gets grey. This also happens sometimes when I softreset it.

The battery has been removed as it had started to leak, nothing visable on the PCB but it could of course still be damaged.

http://drbrain.mine.nu/temp/a4000/DSC04407.JPG
http://drbrain.mine.nu/temp/a4000/DSC04408.JPG

Last edited:

psodas

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
If you get a Green screen when take out the chip ram, then the problem of the main pcb is not very big.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
I suggest removing everthing, including the zorro riser, i think you just need cpu card and chip ram to boot to kickstart screen, if it takes more than 30 seconds then its not the roms slowing it.

Fieldday

Country
Germany
Region
Swabia
Hi,
you better remove the battery und clean up the whole area! I think it is very unlikly that both accelerators are faulty. You could also check if you got 5v or min. 4.85v on your power supply.
All you need for booting up is a CPU card (don´t forget the right jumper position), chip ram and kickstart roms. If you have a floppy, can you hear a click click...?

best wishes and good luck

FD

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If you get a Green screen when take out the chip ram, then the problem of the main pcb is not very big.

Er.... A green screen means there is an error on the Chipram. This can be caused by Angus needing re-seating in it's socket, but if your pulling the Chip Ram SIMM out of the Amiga, of course its gonig to give you a green screen. The Amiga startup routines require Chip Ram to be in place to start succesfully.

You really need to get the battery off the Mobo & check for acid erosion to the the PCB. Use some sharp side cutters to snip the legs of the battery. Snip the single leg first & then bend it carefully up & away from the board to cut the thicker leg side. If you don't do it this way & are a little novice at this kind of thing, the battery will act like a big heatsink when you apply a hot Iron to the contact points.

If you can do this & clean up the dust on the board too, post some clearer pics of the board all over & we'll give it a look over for you. ;)

Good luck fella. (y)

Kin

Last edited:

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
As I wrote in my previous post I have already removed the battery. That's the first thing I did when I got the computer!!
I'll take som better pics today.

I removed the chipmen just to test if I got a green screen as I should. And I did so the chipmen section of the motherboard seems to be working. So the motherboard is not completely dead.

I've tried with three CPU-cards (2x A2630 and 1x CSPPC) so it's highly unlikly that all three are busted. It must be something with the motherboard itself.

When I have the floppy connected it's silent... no clicking at all.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Reading through so many posts can get rather confusing. Sorry. :|

Check the capacitors for leaking/sweaty look. If nothing evident, you'll need to send it for repair or replace it.

Choices are few. Anthony Hoffman in new Zealand or JJB@ Amiga France, though I did hear someone in the Netherlands was also offering repairs. Can anyone confirm this please?

Kin

Cosmos

Banned
Country
France
Region
Besançon
>Check the capacitors for leaking/sweaty look. If nothing evident, you'll need to send it for repair or replace it.

I change capacitors too !

24 euros (with the new capacitors) + shipping back for all Classics !

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Okey.. here are some new pictures.. http://drbrain.mine.nu/temp/a4000/motherboard/ (big 3MB+ pictures)

Some caps have leaked as some solderpads have turned green/brown.

I've tried with only motherbord/chipmem/roms/cpu-card (NO daughter board)... still nothing.

Because some of the Caps heave leaked.....

Unless you have the adequate skills to repair, you need to send it to either of the people I mentioned earlier.

It's a bit of a mess m8, but the battery is not bad at all. I've seen worse repaired. Anthony Hoffman is your best man. You'll find him in the Service Bay on this site. ;)

My honest opinion after looking at your pics..... - Well worth repairing. :nod:

Just flicking through your pics agin & looking beyond the odd furry Capacitor leg & plethora of dust, the board is very clean.

Kin

Last edited:

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
I probably could change all the caps myself but I think it's better to let a professional change them. There may be something more faulty that I can't replace myself so it would still have to be sent away.

The shipping to New Zeeland isn't cheap, but then again finding a new A4000-motherboard isn't that easy. Maybe I should contact him....

I also thinks the board looks fine, except the dust and the fact that it doesn't work ;)

Fieldday

Country
Germany
Region
Swabia
Hi,
if PSU is good, an Amiga 4000 runs without any caps. Maybe there leaking has damaged some connections und should be repaired. Lets have also a look on your accelerators and you better change the caps too.

FD

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
One of the things that happened to me with my A4000 motherboard was that there was no apparent damage on the top of the board, but when the board was turned over, there was a lot of damage done to the back from the battery leaking. You might want to check that as well. I know Ed still repairs motherboards, but he's in Kansas in the United States and shipping might cost a very pretty penny. He fixed my A4000 Motherboard that I thought was dead so if a board that won't even accept power from the power supply can be brought back to life, I'm certain this one can. Looking at your giant pics I see the same kind of thing that was on my motherboard, nothing noticeable on the top. Although looking carefully at the battery, there is a discoloration in the shape of a circle around the single point standoff. But I don't really know enough to give advice, aside from sending to someone whom you know can repair it if you cannot.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
I have a board with the same problem - gives a gray screen with chip-mem & green screen without.
It had all capacitors replaced & tested with known working PSU & CPU card.

The only thing I noticed that was out of the ordinary, is a quickly heating CIA chip (the left one, if looking at the board from the front).
Hopefully I'll be able to fix it some day :(

Good luck with yours!

drbrain

Banned
Country
Sweden
Region
Helsingborg
The motherboard and CSPPC is now on a journey to New Zeeland.

Lets hope for the best! :bowdown:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Wishing you all the luck fella & keep us posted. (y)

Kin

Top Bottom