AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey chappies!

Well I setup all my Amiga's last night, took ages to set them back up :dry:

Everything is fine except the A4000 and we knew there was a problem at the show.

I stripped all the zorro cards out and rebuilt the machine, good news is she powerd on just fine but there is no output at all now from the PicassoIV Scan Doubler/FF. The RTG is working but when you switch to a native screen its just a blank screen. However the Native RGB output is still working.

I though the PIV disabled the native output? I'm really hoping its the daughter board, you might remember at the show the native screens were jumpy at first then got worse throughout the day :(

I've got a replacement Daughter Board on the way, so hopefully have that this week, but I'm worried the PicassoIV is busted, anyone had this problem before? :help:

Anyway I keep my fingers crossed until I setup the new board.

Steve.

orange

Country
Belgrade, Serbia
I had similar problems (jumpy scandoubled screen, no card in early startup...).
first of all, PicassoIV does not disable native video port.
clean the Zorro connector on PIV with good contact spray and IPA. and be sure to push the card all the way in.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys, I'm wondering if I have broken one of the contacts between the SD and the PIV when installing the card. I've already cleaned the contacts a while back, but it wont hurt to try again.

Jumpers are all fine, the card was working 100% up until just before the show then during the show it got worse. I've had the PIV in there for about 3 months working fine.

Will take a closer look at the card.

Cheers!

Steve.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Just a thought, would it be safe to use the ribbon cables supplied with the PicassoIV without actually removing the Scan Doubler, i.e to assist the connection?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@steve'o

that would be worth a try - it would isolate if its a track fracture issue at the snap-off point.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@steve'o

that would be worth a try - it would isolate if its a track fracture issue at the snap-off point.

Cool, I'll try that tonight. The PIV has been in and out quite a few times this last month. I knew I should have just left it in there when it was working and not tried all this stuff to get the stupid X-Surf working :Doh:

If I've broken an expensive graphics card for the sake of a stupid network card I'll be gutted...

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
As they say in the 6 Million Dollar man,

"Gentlemen we can rebuild him, we have the tecnology..."

Although the Picasso IV's are probably worth more these days ;)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Mods Ban this guy for price driving :ninja:

Lol, mate you always make me smile - even when the proverbial hits the Fan :bowdown:

LOL check my feedback score!!!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
LOL 69 reviews.... sounds kinky =) LOVE IT!

which reminds me!

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@fitzsteve

Maybe the PIV works even if one (or more) of the bridges are broken.

If this is the case you have another solution. Just cut all bridges and reconnect the FF module to the PIV using cables.

The cables provided with original PIV package are too long, but you can make new ones. Is fast & easy....

Best wishes

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey guys,

Good and bad news, its working with the ribbons connected which means I must have damaged one or more of the tracks during fitting or removal.

In anycase at least its working now which is the good news, I'll still be needing the Daughter Board as I'm sure this one has some kind of issue as my X-Surf still dosen't work in it!

Anyone know where I could get shorter connectors?

Thanks again for the help/advice.

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Steve

your best bet for shorter cables would be to talk with AmigaKit.

making your own requires a little more involved knowledge - ie. are they interleaved or not interleaved.

The problem you will find in making new (shorter cables) will be finding the right connectors - I just had a brief look on eBay and Farnell and I cannot find any appropriate 26 way (2x13) connectors - 8 way connectors can be found on farnell though.

so - in short - see what AmgiaKit can offer.

I would suggest re-soldering the tracks - however with the in's and outs of the card - it a safe bet it would fail again - hence wont solve the problem in the long term my friend.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey Zetr0,

Thanks for the input but after refitting the lid shes not working again :(

Lets see how I get on with Dave G's Daughter Board later in the week...

Steve.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I had a similair problem a while ago with my PIV (I'm using the original ribbons) and as daft as it sounds it was down to the back plate screw.

I can't remember if it was because it was too tight or too loose but whichever a slight tweek on the screw and all was fine.

Could be worth a try.

On the topic of the board - that will be posted tomorrow night as I leave work.

If your postman smiles when he hands over the box - don't worry - he will just think you buy your durex in bulk :D :D

Dave G :cool:

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Sorry to hear your problems with the A4000 are continuing Steve :(

John

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I can't remember if it was because it was too tight or too loose but whichever a slight tweek on the screw and all was fine.

Could be worth a try.

Dave G :cool:

I hope its something that simple, it was after I put the screws back it stopped working again! I'll wait for the new daughter board before I fiddle any more though.

Sorry to hear your problems with the A4000 are continuing Steve :(

John

Thanks mate, fingers crossed for your Minimig too.

Steve.

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
I`ve got all my fingers & toes crossed as well, hope u get it sorted dude

Top Bottom