A4000 psu nothing for my eye but proven no good

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
This psu works, but if I use a atx psu, my A4000 can have more expansions. I don't see anything wrong with it.

These days it does not take more then ide cf, cyberstorm mk1, scan doubler and done - nothing more with the original one.

O if you sell a matx psu let me know. Please only Belgian/Netherlands/Uk offers.

Allow a few days to upp my paypal.

A big picture with a good excuse.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Looks like the old capacitor plague again :Doh:
reference to http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

See those brown capacitors around the coils on the right hand side of the photo. They are faulty as they are installed flat to the board, the gap underneath means they are have bulged as a result of a chemical reaction inside the can.

Replace with Low ESR capacitors of the same or higher voltage and capacitance, and make sure they go back in with the white band on the same side.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Thanks I think I have spares for those small ones you mention, should check if they are 25V although. I thought it was dirt lol. I'll replace it anyhow with matx, but I'll like to keep the original internal repaired for future reference/use.(y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Easy way to "test" for bad capacitors while desoldering them: when the solder is melting you'll presented with a lovely smell of cat pee/rotten fish.

Normal capacitors doesn't smell at all.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Thanks Rogerio, I wonder if you could advise me on this one as you know I did not have any electronics:

I have 2x 200 V types 330 uf to repace and would like to have replacements (i'll put m-atx anyhow in) for storage, so the original board can be put back in in a reasonable state.

What do you recommend keeping in mind price? My electronic friend recommended to have them at a very close value, only getting more then 200V but going as close as possible to the 330 uf. I only find 480 uf my friend told me do not put much higher values in but they are cheaper on ebay - it could happen that it won't work any longer he told me.

What do you think, what can I source? He also told me that the big ones are the suspects not the small ones.

Oo lol I did not smell anything funny I'll give him a ring right know I did not get any fb

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Check the wiring inside from where the main power leads go into. They have a tendancy to rub on the case. My own 4000 had this problem and it only shows itself over time. Can be sorted by tie wrapping them away from the heatsink/case. :|

The way the switching mechanism works on these would no longer be done that way either so I'd rather replace it for a modern PSU for better reliability/power/safety.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Check the wiring inside from where the main power leads go into. They have a tendancy to rub on the case. My own 4000 had this problem and it only shows itself over time. Can be sorted by tie wrapping them away from the heatsink/case. :|

The way the switching mechanism works on these would no longer be done that way either so I'd rather replace it for a modern PSU for better reliability/power/safety.

Yess I'll fit an matx in anyhow, but would like to repair the original anyhow.

As you see the wiring is a little damaged. So you are right on topic as well.

Top Bottom