A4000 slots question

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
i have a A4000T. I want install a XSURF card and a Spectrum Graphic card. But i don´t know that slot use. i have this image in the A4000 manual. Someone can tell me the slots number for this cards.

thanks

http://gallery.me.com/landoq#100093/DOCUMENTO&bgcolor=black

They are both Zorro cards, so go in the "100-pin Amiga slots" -- If the Spectrum card has a Scandoubler built-in, you might find it needs to go in one of the top two slots that are inline with the video slots.

The X-surf will go in any slot from 1-5. If the Spectrum has a Scandoubler module, it must be in slot 1 or 2, otherwise anything from 1-5.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
sorry, but i don´t understand... the slots are physically different. not?

Only one of the Zorro slots has a Video slot next to it (mine is the bottom one) this is where I had to install my PicassoIV as it has a Video Slot Scan Doubler attached. I don't think your Spectrum does so any slot should be fine.

Take into account things like cable routing/cooling when choosing a slot.

Steve.

Commodoriano

Country
Spain
then , i install the Xsurf in 3,4,5 or 6 number slot and the Spectrum Card in one of two firsts slots. is correct ?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
then , i install the Xsurf in 3,4,5 or 6 number slot and the Spectrum Card in one of two firsts slots. is correct ?

I just saw you have A4000T (in your title it just says A4000 I should read the first post and not joined in half way. - sorry)

I have an A4000D :oops:

amigaman2000

Amiga Forever
AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
Pontevedra
The Spectrum board doesn´t have a Scandoubler, so you can connect it to any Zorro slot, you don´t need a Video Slot to use it.

Regards

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
sorry, but i don´t understand... the slots are physically different. not?

Only one of the Zorro slots has a Video slot next to it (mine is the bottom one) this is where I had to install my PicassoIV as it has a Video Slot Scan Doubler attached. I don't think your Spectrum does so any slot should be fine.

Take into account things like cable routing/cooling when choosing a slot.

Steve.

Yeah Steve. Very much a no.

@ landoq

The A4000T has 2 x Video Slots & they are at the top of the Stack when the A4KT is stood in it's normal upright position.

The whole busboard area of the A4KT can take these cards, but in the front most part of the slot. That means near the front of the case. See green box on attached picture (5 x slots). The Red box are the two Video slots, though a lot of Video cards use the ZORRO area as well, such as the Picasso IV, Toaster etc.

The blue Box area of 4 x slots is the ISA side of things.

Always best not to use the upper two ZORRO areas, in case you need to fit a full video card such as the Toaster or PIV.

I'd put the Spectrum in ZORRO Slot 3 & the X-Surf in 4. All the same, still check the Manuals for the hardware you are fitting. I reckon you'll be okay though. (y)

Kin

Attachments

• a4000tmb.jpg
    a4000tmb.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
@ Kin and Steve

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! what have they done!!!!!!!!!

seriously, chill guys, wind it in, take a chill pill and chillaxe, i mean really, does it matter? naaahhhhhh

Attachments

• planetoftheapesending.jpg
    planetoftheapesending.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
In the image of the A4000T motherboard, which slots are Zorro III slots?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
A picture speaks a thousand words:

A4000T-slots.jpg

(Thanks to Kinnie for providing this image in the first place)

So, the five slots at the right of this board are Zorro III slots. All five of them are, for all intents and purposes, identical. You can plug almost any Amiga Zorro card into one of those slots and have it work. The bit that's in front doesn't matter for an ordinary Z3 card.

The top two slots also have an AGA Video slot inline with the Zorro slot. Some internal scandoublers sit in the video slot. For reasons of physical space, it's normally an either-or affair, you use the slot as a Zorro, or you use it as a Video slot.

The reason it's inline is because there are some graphics cards out there that fit across both the Z3 and the Video connector. These are often ones with built-in scandoublers so you only ever need one video output.

The bottom four slots (that aren't circled in my diagram) are PC ISA slots. They are inactive in all Amigas, you need a bridgeboard to activate them. They are also inline with the Zorro slots, precisely so you can fit a bridgeboard.

Take a look at your X-surf. If you line up the metal bracket with the opening at the back of the case, you'll see exactly where the card wants to go! Put it in any of the slots that it fits in! (Although I'd recommend leaving the top slot, #1, empty for future expansion, should you get something that requires an AGA Video slot)

Hopefully that covers everything.

(y)

Top Bottom