A4000 trouble again!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hi,

I asked a lot help from here, and I learned quite some stuff.

I recently acquired the cyberstorm I with scsi.

I bought localy a 50 PIN scsi disk, and put it in installed os 3.9 etc.. i did not arrive to a complete working install, and decided to have another go this evening. the 50 pin scsi disk was configured in a mac, one device only system, exactly as I am using it.

It was 2GB only, but as quiet as IDE (nice!!)

I wan't to know the following:

Why does workbench 3.9 formats a hard disk and says ok formatted, and gives checksum errors all a long while installing workbench, it's gotten worse, I even can't install workbench any more, since i got to much checksum errors.

One time while formatting "full" it said can't put trashcan, error.

Probably I had all the time just problems with this disk:wooha:

Should I put WANTeD 50 pin scsi nice quit and old apple disk on here?

Or Could it be something else. (at first the disk gave less errors) While the machine was still running, i put boing bag 1 on it, and then read errors no boot any more, and know not able to install without checksum errors..:nod:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@Jurgen

I would check the termination on the HD is on if there is nothing else on the chain.

Also run a low level format utility on the SCSI HD, if you do have bad sectors these will be permanently mapped out by the low-level format then when you do the regular "fast" format those sectors will be ignored.

But double check the termination first my friend.

TC :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Do what my friend TC told you, but if the results are not what you expected...

Do not use "directory cache" with anything but floppy disks. This will silently corrupt the file system as you use it.

For checksum errors, you can have some possible culprits:

1- Low power on the +12 & +5 rails (check with a multimeter)

2- Wrong max transfer setting (use 0x2FE00, this is not a CF card)

3- Buggy memory on the Amiga (hard to spot)

4-About-to-die HD, if none of the above possible culprits can be spotted.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I did not have the time, to follow all the advice, but I feel that I should, since the low level format looks like a good idea.

I am hunting on the memory bad idea... It looks like it's that.

I re-read the disk, created one partition, and it's stable with only one memory module in it. (the old slots)

I can't install workbench 3.9 it says Can't find workbench information:wooha: I am going to continue with it a little..

Oh the reason why first the memory: having troubles with the deneb and michael pulling his hair out... that's why

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Ok sorry guys to trouble you again I need to know:

1) Where is the low format option (I am going to do it anyway, even if it "looks" ok now)

2) What means can't get workbench information when clicking on the installer? What do I need to do.

I noticed some improvements by using only one A4000 old mobo memory:

1) I get a rom screen, I did not happen before, even when I should have gotton a rom screen it did not do that. (only somethimes)

2) Early boot works every time

3) The machne works more predictable(y)

4) one memory module is able to reproduce the probs I had

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hi countraven,

the os 3.9 hdtoolbox does not seem to have it..

The workbench 3.1 toolbox has it, but it does a low level format in one second.

Is that normal?

Jurgen,

Countraven

Country
GREECE
Hello Jurgen.

One second? I do not think so...

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

The Low Level Format should be under the Install drive choice, in 3.9 If I remember well.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Also how many Giga is the Hard Disk you are trying to install? Better use small sized partitions.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It's only 2GB and I still don't see the os 3.9 hdtoolbox button to low level format.

Termination jumper is on!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I've got 11.68 volts on the hard disk and 4.89 on the 5 volts while doing a copy from cd to hard disk..

I scored another error by now..:(

I disabled directory cache and are re-installing I've copied workbench 3.9 to a partition and gave it the same name as the cdrom, installing from there over Workbench 3.1 installation..

Let's hope..

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Voltage goes up instead of down after getting hot, now 11.79

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
4.89V on the +5V is a sort of "OK". A bit low, but still OK.

Now we can think on the other possibilities: Max_transfer, terminations/terminators and a possible bad cable or bad connector on the SCSI cable.

Also set the HD mask to 0x7777777E (this will use on-board Fast RAM or 32-bit RAM if available), don't use 0x77777777 (any memory up to 4Gb) with any device.

I also recommend you to try another HD. Any newer SCSI HD will make your Amiga happy. On my A2000 I have a quiet 18Gb unit.:)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
When I boot with my os 3.9 flop and trie to install I get error: can't get workbench information, I've copied wb install 3.9 to hd, start with a formatted workbench partition and started from workbench 3.1 flop the installer starts from hard disk , saying after some installing: Workbench has a checksum error on disk block..:mad:

I don't know how to set maxtransfer to be honest.

I could swap the hd ment for my A500 tower project it's almost the same.

I am afraid getting a larger scsi disk, might not be an option, I don't wan't an hd for a server in my desktop, making to much noisy..

Going to swap the hd,!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
As I said, I'm using a 18Gb SCSI HD, and it is even quieter than a regular IDE unit! It is a Quantum Atlas V (7200RPM).

I have 3 of those babies (one 4.5Gb, another 9.1 and this one). Grab one if you find it.

Now, going back to your issue: are you sure you used the right 3.1 ROM for your A4000? A4000T ROMs are very common but lacks the Workbench.library, stopping the 4000 DESKTOP to boot.

Also you must set both termination power (on the HD, of course) and termination ON on the last SCSI device.

But not the CD: it just have narrow terminators and then the bus can go crazily crashy.

BTW: how is the SCSI chain? Do you have the right terminators on both sides of the cable? Are they active or passives? You didn't mixed both types, right?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Rkauer, swapping the HD gave nothing, checksum error.. I think I need to follow up the advice already given, probably these units have no termination, the unit that I installed mentions IDE technology, like it's an ide device with a 50 pin scsi connector??

It mentions CS, etc..

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Did you Google for the HD model? I never saw an IDE HD with a 50 pin connector! And since it works (OK, sort a) with the SCSI controller, it must be a SCSI HD.

I remember while setting a 2Gb SCSI HD for my A500 I experience some of those problems, they are related with bad cables and wrong termination.:banghead:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Probably it is, I had a friend over, so I did not test it further, the other hard disk test and working has a sticker mentioning master, slave :( Wanted to throw in the towel for today:( Don't understand the sticker, will need to google, it mentions quantum fireball. (a typical ide disk in those days)

It has a 50 pin connector and worked in the A500 scsi expansion, it took less then one minute to write to the device to receive the first checksum error.

What I will do, is put in a plextor cd rom player with termination on next day, see what happens(y)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Quantum makes both SCSI (Viking/Atlas) & IDE (Fireball). Maybe it's just a case of wrong sticker.

But I can bet your problem is related with termination or cable, not the HD itself.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Misplaced the scsi plextor somewhere, for the mean time will be looking for temination of the 50 pins scsi.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I went back to the original disk, and it looks like the termination jumper is not on. I tested a lot while doing a copy etc.. Let's hope that it stays stable.. I can't understand why it is not on, since the machine where it came from had no terminator.

The only thing I need to find out now is why I get Can't get workbench information while trying to install.

An old post on eab said copy the libs to the emergency disk, already did that.

I get in the info 40.68 kickstart and 45.1 Workbench. Is that causing this message?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Yes, since you are trying to load OS3.9 (Workbench 45.1 is OS3.9) from a 3.1 system. First install 3.1 with the 3.1 install disk.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The scsi problems are not over, back to zero, even when installing Workbench 3.1 I received checksum error..:( oh it looked to good to be true:(

I will have a proper read again to make sure the pinouts on the HD TERMINATE.

Top Bottom