A4000 Zorro3/PCI indecision

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello there my fellow AmiBayer's

been having some rationalizations of projects that I have under my domain, one of them is my A4000 build

as she stands

A4000D

• A4000D 2MB Chip / 16MB Fast
  • Cyberstorm Mk2 060@50 128MB RAM
  • CyberSCSI II

1. (20GB U2Wide SCSI 2 HDD)
  2. 8x CDRW -eventually will be a SCSI-IDE bridge to a DVDRW
  • CyberVision 643D Mk2
  • XSurf II
  • Prelude Soundcard
  • MultiFace 3

Now, the problem is, do I keep this a dedicated Zorro box or perhaps plumb for a PCI mediator?

the PCI mediator would give me instant access to a Voodoo 5500 / SBlaster 4.1 / a 10/100 NIC as well as a TV incard

I had though of looking out for a promethus, alas the driver support is less (voodoo 3 gfx and not 4 or 5 =() and its orientation doens't lend itself to the Desktop chassis...

hmmmm what to do what to do....

idea's and suggestions for keeping or trading up... your thoughts welcome

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
As this model is now it is an awesome and well-equipped machine, my friend.

Keep it as it is and only add a ZoRAM and an Indyvision AGA and then it will be maxed out. Drop the Multiface3, nowadays serial and parallel ports are obsolete.

whiteb

Mostly Harmless.
AmiBayer
Country
Melbourne, Australia
Region
Victoria
Hello there my fellow AmiBayer's

been having some rationalizations of projects that I have under my domain, one of them is my A4000 build

as she stands

A4000D

• A4000D 2MB Chip / 16MB Fast
  • Cyberstorm Mk2 060@50 128MB RAM
  • CyberSCSI II

1. (20GB U2Wide SCSI 2 HDD)
  2. 8x CDRW -eventually will be a SCSI-IDE bridge to a DVDRW
  • CyberVision 643D Mk2
  • XSurf II
  • Prelude Soundcard
  • MultiFace 3

Now, the problem is, do I keep this a dedicated Zorro box or perhaps plumb for a PCI mediator?

the PCI mediator would give me instant access to a Voodoo 5500 / SBlaster 4.1 / a 10/100 NIC as well as a TV incard

I had though of looking out for a promethus, alas the driver support is less (voodoo 3 gfx and not 4 or 5 =() and its orientation doens't lend itself to the Desktop chassis...

hmmmm what to do what to do....

idea's and suggestions for keeping or trading up... your thoughts welcome

Well, I personally would be one to keep the 4000D as close as you can to original.

So if the Prometheus is not 100% compatible to the 4000D case, and has less driver support than Mediator, then Mediator it is. Thats my humble opinion, but this is going to be YOUR project.

BUT, you asked for input, thats my few bytes worth.

:)

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Keith my friend I agree 100% with Rogerio on that one
You have a really nice A4000 and would be pitty for da money to invest to something that is not needed
ZoRAM and Indy are really remarkable addons not to mention Deneb which I don't see in the configuration.

Maybe in the future you might find a cool PIV to replace the CV64 and then you're pretty much done forever :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm definitely in the Z3 camp. On the one hand, it's kinda cool to be able to use PCI cards with an Amiga, but on the other, well, it's just not really retr0-enough for me. Zorro cards are half the fun!

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
[...]
[...]

that's a nice zorro machine you got there Z!!! (y) My advice would be not to mess with a mediator at all, invest those funds in a picassoIV. The only card that could actually give you something back is the TV-tuner one. V5500 is a joke on mediator and won't be faster than a v3000 (could be slower too) , the SB will give you sound but no extra stuff and tne NIC in no way will ever reach 100MBPS :p
Personally I would invest in a picassoIV, it's modules and a DENEB... :)

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Just joining in with the rest here.

A TV card won't give you any real practical use in this rig, a PicassoIV, Deneb and ZorRAM wil however do that. Also, you can take out the Multiface if you need more Zorro space.

The Prometheus doesn't have such terrible driver support as it's supported by OpenPCI driver system. But like you yourself point out, it's mechanical fit is odd to say the least.

Also, instead of the PicassoIV route, you could go for the indivision, it won't switch automatically for you, but it's a nice scandoubler. You didn't mention if your CyberVision64 3D has it's scandoubler, but I assume that it doesn't.

Only benefit you'd have with a PCI solution would be to get away from that adaptor spaghetti we Prelude owners are stuck with :) But a Deneb should free two zorro slots as you then can get USB sound and NIC, but the XZurf is nice and reliable.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
A tv card is not a real realisation.. I've got the mediator 4000di no support at all...They delivered it with first version software cdrom, old mach chip etc...

That will be the last time, I rather trow money in the bin next time.. If I were you I would stay in Zorro land, Pci is by now old technology, certainly looking at a mediator..

Hope you get a soundblaster running (y) It won't out of the box to my knowledge..(n) The only parties supporting my probs where E3B and Individual. I hope they grow further and develop more stuff..:whistle:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
That's a nice Classic A4KD Keith. :nod:

However, you wouldn't go far wrong with a PCI solution if you want things to be a bit faster. Your Desktop will be much slicker for Voodoo & I hope your 643D has it's flicker fixer. - You'll need one one way or another.

Bummer about Prometheus is lack of DMA all together & the bummer with the Elbox 4000DI is you loose your Video Slot. :|

Decisions decisions eh! ;)

Charlie

Top Bottom