A4000T PSU exchange - could issues with a CV64/3D SD be related to missing -5V?

skyfish

Country
Sweden
Region
Vastmanland
Hello,

Here's a question that might be trivial or not, but I was unable to find any tangible information on the topic on the net... perhaps some of you recognize this?

Some days ago I thought I'd replace the AT PSU in an A4000T with a modern ATX unit before the old breaks down. Currently in the Amiga is a Cyberstorm PPC, Cybervision 64/3D with a scandoubler module and a X-surf 100 with the USB addon.

After having replaced the PSU including adding an adapter cable to convert the ATX connector to the AT P8/P9 + switch, all seemed well and I booted the computer up.

Everything works - except no picture coming out of the scandoubler. It seems to send a signal to the monitor, and the monitor does react when the screen mode changes are to occur - but the image is black. The picture directly from the CV64/3d is fine. I tested using the old PSU again and then the scandoubler works as it should, so the scandoubler itself seems fine.

After some quick checks, I tend to now believe the issue with the scandoubler is that it is using the -5V line coming out of the AT PSU of the A4000T and fed directly to the slots (in the A4000D, the -5V is instead generated on board (...?)). The -5V output is missing in modern ATX PSUs.

My questions on this matter would be:
- Is it a plausable explanation for the scandoubler not working with the new ATX PSU (missing -5V)?
- What devices actually use the -5V? It is available in ISA slots, zorro slots as well as video slots, however at least the rest of the equipment (Z3) installed seem fine without it.
- What would be the easiest way to add the -5V? Using a 15W 12V-5V DC/DC in combination with -12V?

Best Regards,
Chris

hooverphonique

Country
Denmark
Region
Fyn
normally, no "pure" digital logic accessory would use -5V, but it's perfectly possible that the analog section of the scandoubler could do so...

I would just whack a 7905 in there and generate -5 from -12... As you mention yourself, that's what the 4000D does, and if in doubt, you can use its schematic to see how to hook it up.

skyfish

Country
Sweden
Region
Vastmanland
Thanks! Makes sense, I'll see if I can give it a try - the schematics looks a bit complex for the task (diode, resistors, capacitors), will have to check whats really needed and give it a whirl

Last edited:

hooverphonique

Country
Denmark
Region
Fyn
It's not that complicated, and the capacitor values dont' have to be spot on. the 10ohm/2W resistor (2x20hm in parallel) is there to protect -12V in case something goes wrong with -5V. The diode you can disregard.

page 4 of this used as reference.

skyfish

Country
Sweden
Region
Vastmanland
Just in the remote case someone would be in a similar situation (A4000T, replaced PSU with modern ATX variant, with addon cards that actually use -5V)...

While looking into this, -5V is used for Zorro slots, ISA slots, Video slots and the RGB port on the AV module. Using the RGB->VGA adapter to display normal AGA video without the -5V had no issues for me though. In terms of Zorro/Video slot cards, out of what I tested only the Cybervision 64/3d scandoubler had issues when -5V was missing.

I modified an ATX extension cable to derive the -5VDC from the -12VDC (using identical circuitry as found in the A4000D MB) instead of taking it from the directly from the PSU (since -5VDC isn't available for any remotely modern ATX PSU).

The solution works great, and the Cybervision 64/3d with scandoubler display nicely, while using the new PSU.

Thanks for idea and inspiration, hooverphonique!

Top Bottom