A4K IDE

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi all,

what choices do i have for ide on a A4000? is the ide via a zorro card any good? is the fast ata better? is the powerflyer the same thing?

all info is good info please

cheers, JuvUK

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi all,

what choices do i have for ide on a A4000? is the ide via a zorro card any good? is the fast ata better? is the powerflyer the same thing?

all info is good info please

cheers, JuvUK

Hey Mr Juv :D

I'm running a CF-IDE off the native IDE and getting 2.2mb/sec with SFS so I've stuck with that as its pretty nice and quick for my needs however I have a Buddha IDE connected to the Zorro that I use for my DVDRW, I've been meaning to setup a 2nd CF-IDE on that and test the speeds or even a nice ATA HDD, will let you know what sort of speeds I get when I get round to doing it...

You can also get a FastATA for the Zorro and should see some nice speeds on one of those, my A1200 FastATA is working at 4.7mb/sec with CF-IDE so I'd expect at least that if not somewhere in the high 7's or 8's :cool:

The FastATA is a great device and I prefer it over SCSI for ease of setting up. However I do run SCSI-IDE on my Blizzard PPC which is nice, but I guess you're not interested in SCSI since you are asking about IDE ;)

I'm not familiar with the Data Flyer though.

Steve.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

I have the FastATA MK-V and my tests.......

With HDD's only:

- PM => PIO4
- SM => PIO4

With CF & HDD:

- PM => CF at PIO3
- SM => HDD at PIO4

With FastATA you need a good quality cables (I use 80 wires) and no longer than 40cms if you want to use higher speeds.

Really is a great device and the best, for me, is not only the speed... is the possibility to work with HDD's of any size I tested with 500GB and under... works great (y)

In anyway I changed the last configuration on my A4KD and now is working with:

Mobo IDE port: Closed and not working. I use one "IDE terminator" from Amigakit, this reduces boot time and system start really fast.

FastATA MK-V:

- PM => CF 32GB, PIO3
- SM => HDD 250GB, PIO4

Because on my A4KD I have one CS MK-II with the SCSI Kit, I connected two SCSI DVD's. This drives are connected through the external port. But I'm waiting new empty enclosures to put the drives inside........

PowerFlyer is the old version of FastATA MK-V it supports only a maximum of PIO4 and FastATA support PIO5....

About DataFlyer I don't know, sorry.

Best wishes.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Sup bud? - Why do you want to slow your Amiga up with nasty crappy IDE? :shrug:

Kin

Top Bottom