A500+ Has lines going down the screen

danieluk

Country
Uk
Region
Retford, Notts
Hi all i have an AMIGA A500+ that when i turn it on has lines going down the screen i thought it could be something to do with the A520 but the lines are still there if i use the mono plug; if i leave it on for a few mins it goes away but once i turn it off and back on they are back; While it is on the lines appear and disappear every so often; the battery had leaked so i removed it and cleaned the board with spirit vinegar, could the battery leakage be the cause or could it be a capacitor problem? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
attachment-25Q8HV.jpg

Last edited:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
The first thing to do is try re-seating all your chips. I tend to find that solves the vast majority of any hardware problems I have had in the past.

danieluk

Country
Uk
Region
Retford, Notts
thanks for the quick reply I will try to resit them and post back the results; however did try to resit Denise but still the same.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
If this is not a reseating problem then its most likely a capacitor feed to the video circuit - I have been having some hackery with the video circuit lately so let me hitup some A500+ specs.

In the mean time have a look around the video hybrid (thats the long black plasticy thing next to the video port on the left of the motherboard)

Are any of the capacitors doomed or look like they have dirty contacts... if so then they will need replacing.

danieluk

Country
Uk
Region
Retford, Notts
ok so I tried re-seating all the chips and it's the same as before; i can't see any dirty or bad connections around the video area, corrosion is bad around the battery area, I suppose the next thing to do would be to test the capacitors. thanks again

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
It is surely related to memory or video.

Clean & reseat both Agnus and Denise, if nothing solved, try with a different power supply.

Nothing again, check the temperature of the memory chips on the under-left corner of the motherboard. If one chip is hotter than the others, it is the culprit. A bad RAM chip will heat a lot (circa 45 to 65°C in no time). Also sack the expansion RAM in the trapdoor if any and test again.

If all above is correct, then start to redo traces around the battery area.

danieluk

Country
Uk
Region
Retford, Notts
Fixed

Fixed

Redid the traces around the battery area and changed the video hybrid and all is good thanks agane for all the help

Top Bottom