A530 power supply

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
I thought I'd ask here if anybody is absolutely certain that this pinout for the A530 is correct.
http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/cgi-bin/showhardware_en.cgi?HARDID=1194

Looking at the back of the unit:
===1=====3
====4===5
======2

1 Earth Ground
2 Signal Ground (5V ground)
3 +5V RED
4 WHITE (not connected)
5 +12V BROWN

The reason why I'm asking, is that I have won an A530 on Evilbay, I didn’t expect to win and I didn't at first, but I got an offer again after the first buyer failed to come trough I guess.
But this has a US power supply, which is of course 110 volt.
And as I am in Europe where it's 230 volts, I need to modify it with an ATX PSU I guess.

I'm also hearing that the HD8+ power supply is the same, is that also correct ?
Also reports of CD32/A590 power supplies, but if I look at these including the Amigakit convertor, it has 4 pins instead of 5 and 12 volt and ground are in opposites.

Best thing would be if someone had a european A530/HD8 power supply for sale, but I can't imagine someone would have this laying on the shelf.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If all else fails, you could just get a voltage transformer and plug the US PSU into that.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
.....Best thing would be if someone had a european A530/HD8 power supply for sale, but I can't imagine someone would have this laying on the shelf.

You could always create a Wanted on the off chance.

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
Hi,

You could PM gavilan to see if he`d be willing to get you the pinouts, i sold him an UK A530 a couple of months back?

Cheers,

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@Buzzfuzz

I would be very interested in the 110 Volt power supply if you intend to get rid of it. I have a GVP here that needs one. :)

I also thought about getting the one from AmigaManiac but the cost + shipping kinda kills the deal. I'd make my own ATX adapter if I knew the pinout. :(

Heather

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@guys and girls

I will have a look into this a bit later tongnight - to be honest this is quite a simple retro-fit/conversion - it just looks difficult

I have a HD8+ here that I beleive has exactly the same pintout - anyway for starters you can easily buzz-out the pins on the back from the 4pin molex to find +5 / +12 and Ground

There wont be a [-12v] or [Earth] connected in the above circuit - from what I could see from the PCB's on amiga.resurce.cx or amiga-hardware.com - these voltages are also not used in the HD8+ either.

I would suggest you power BOTH the GVP and A500 from the SAME power supply - its easy to modify an ATX psu for this and the connectors are available (either from Amiga Maniac or a 5 minute eBay search)

if you need any help or more info for ATX conversion just shout =)

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
@guys and girls

I will have a look into this a bit later tongnight - to be honest this is quite a simple retro-fit/conversion - it just looks difficult

I have a HD8+ here that I beleive has exactly the same pintout - anyway for starters you can easily buzz-out the pins on the back from the 4pin molex to find +5 / +12 and Ground

There wont be a [-12v] or [Earth] connected in the above circuit - from what I could see from the PCB's on amiga.resurce.cx or amiga-hardware.com - these voltages are also not used in the HD8+ either.

I would suggest you power BOTH the GVP and A500 from the SAME power supply - its easy to modify an ATX psu for this and the connectors are available (either from Amiga Maniac or a 5 minute eBay search)

if you need any help or more info for ATX conversion just shout =)

I was told that the HD8 and A530 share the same powersupply yeah.
So if you could double check on the pinout than I will modify an ATX powersupply and yank off a power connector from an old and battered A500 power supply :D

If that works I'll drop my US version off to SkydivinGirl.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Just buzzed out the GVP A500HD8+

I believe that this is correct, but please always double check with another source.

(see attached)

Attachments

• A500HD8.JPG
    A500HD8.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 7

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Ah nothing like seeing how some designers decide to use 2 pins right next to each other for the main voltages, increasing the likleyhood of a serious short & the PSU dying, when there are 2 spare adjacent connections doing nothing :LOL:

TC :p

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Just buzzed out the GVP A500HD8+

I believe that this is correct, but please always double check with another source.

(see attached)

That is quite different from the pinout that I had from that German site also saying that is HD8.
Hmm, I'm going to test the PSU with a 110V adapter to see what is on what cause I can see this going horribly wrong.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@BuzzFuzz

I dont blame you, and I encourage you to do your own investigation.

the above pinout is my A500 HD8+

I took the board out of the unit and used the traces to buzz out +5, +12 and Ground.

Its best I share the info that GROUND is run through the metal chassis via the mount points.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
@BuzzFuzz

I dont blame you, and I encourage you to do your own investigation.

the above pinout is my A500 HD8+

I took the board out of the unit and used the traces to buzz out +5, +12 and Ground.

Its best I share the info that GROUND is run through the metal chassis via the mount points.

Well your drawing is correct if you view from the back of the A530 unit, it is indeed the first pin 5 volts and the second 12 volts.
So on the connector of the psu it's the first pin on the right and then the second anti clockwise.
The unit I got is 100-250 volts and 47-63 hz, so no problem.

If that works I'll drop my US version off to SkydivinGirl.
Ooh! I'm so excited! :)

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Heather

Sorry Heather, you have your anwser just above here, it works.
However I created this thread here: https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7660
I suggest you contact Tabuhuso, he's asking 25 euros for it, also check if the unit is also 100-250 volts, cause mine is a DVE in the same color as the A530 unit and his is a black PSU.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Buzzfuzz but if the pinouts above are correct then I'll just make an adapter for an ATX power supply. :)

Take care,

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Buzzfuzz

Those voltages are also available in a standard A500/600/1200 PSU - I adapted an A500 PSU to power my A590. It would be in keeping with the A530 as it's Amiga branded as well.

Just a thought.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Yes, and also a 1541 II PSU could do it.
The standard din connector is easy to get and like Heather said, you could also do a full ATX conversion.

But clear as day that Zetro's drawing is correct.
So start modding :D

The unit is working great, only thing is the loose power led, but that's an easy fix.

Top Bottom