A590 Behaviour

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
*** Whaoooao A590 Now Fixed ***

Im troubleshoting a A590 unit, can anyone with a A590 confirm the following behaviour of the a590 for me? Just trying to elimate if its an actual fault with the board or if the following is normal with hard drive is not functional.

Q1. Without a Hard Drive attached & autoboot OFF, the A590 driver can still be loaded via boot floppy with driver fully registering or does it hang/freeze in the process? (Mine freezes forever)

Q. Without a Hard Drive attached, If memory jumper is on either 512k, 1meg or 2meg with autoboot OFF does the Kickstart screen appear? (Mine is stuck on white, control is not passed to KickStart 100%)

Last edited:

Seaside

AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Athens
I have two of them

1)One old (red led and green led)

2)One newer (amber led and green led.

i've upgraded recently all the chips,the ram,the DMAC,the scsi chip and the roms.

Without HDD and autoboot off, both of them work and load the a590 setup disk or the ram test disk. Now without disk in the floppy few seconds later the kickstart screen appears.

They just worked fine even before decide to uprade them.

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the response.

I fixed the board. Dry joints on the PPLC socket. Now I am experiencing the same behaviour that you mentioned and alot more now with a hard drive (y)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Cool! Does this mean that it's working now?

Edit! YES!!!

Nice work, darkage!!

Last edited:

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
Hmmm how about some pics in the Photobooth?

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete
Well i am posting here because my a590 has a strange behaviour as well.:dry:

If set to autoboot with an hdd the screen goes white and nothing happens (the hdd seems to spin, and the floppy reading.

With autoboot OFF the disk drive does not work, well it reads floppies but it finds "error".

The a590 is cleaned, the memory jumper is at amnesia mode.

any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Update: I was triying with an Amiga 500+ with 2.0 roms. And it doesn't "see" the hdd @ all, not even the a590 setup disk.

With an Amiga 500 with 1.3 roms it boots but it doesnt get inside the workbench, i get an error for an assignment when autoboot (sorry i am not @ home right now) and the floppy does not work so i cant load the setup disk.

:help:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Not enough power to make everything run.

Replace the power supply as a first recourse.

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete
Not enough power to make everything run.

Replace the power supply as a first recourse.

Xmm.. (greek for Hmm), the drive is spinning and seems to work fine with the 1.3 roms. the a590 i measured it and i have the correct output , and the amigas output voltage is ok.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
And, as stated before, the Amiga will not "see" the HD if booted from floppy, the controller hardware will not load the device drive when booting from floppy.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Then could be a power problem or the HD itself is ready to bit the bullet.

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete

FYI the 2 megabytes of memory are recognized in the 1.3 roms, as for the 2.9 roms i cant tell of the issue addressed in my earlier post.:)

darkage

AmiBayer
Country
Victoria, Australia

FYI the 2 megabytes of memory are recognized in the 1.3 roms, as for the 2.9 roms i cant tell of the issue addressed in my earlier post.:)

Im not clear where you are at with this but at least the board is in some working state if it recognises the 2meg of ram. Can you go to HDToolbox and inquiry the scsi device from where you set the hdd parameters? If its not picking up a scsi device connected to the chain then check you have proper termination. I've read that just using the drives inbuilt termination may not be enough and its better advised to get a 3 way scsi cable with a nice big terminator on the end.

If its still not recognising the hdd, then try with another scsi hdd and also confirm its working okay under a regular pc. Also maybe reseat the chips on the scsi side of the circuit the WD33C93A and the small PAL chip next to it.

Oh yeah make sure you are using two seperate power supplies or if you are drawing power from the A500 directly to power the a590 make sure you are using a AT(X) power supply.

Top Bottom