A590 hard disks

Commodoriano

Country
Spain
Hi

i am searching info about the several configurations of Amiga 590 Hard disk. There was a 20MB model, but there was another configurations ?

thanks

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
The other variant was supplied with a 20MB XT style HD (2 data cable connection)

Pretty useless and as far as I am aware you can still access the SCSI connectivity, upgrade to a SCSI HD and just bin the XT Drive....

TC :)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I think the roms have to be updated to use a larger SCSI drive.

I have an A590 with a 120Mb hd which i hope to one day play around with and upgrade to 1Gb (for WHDLOAD).

Havent checked the roms yet.

The other variant was supplied with a 20MB XT style HD (2 data cable connection)

Pretty useless and as far as I am aware you can still access the SCSI connectivity, upgrade to a SCSI HD and just bin the XT Drive....

TC :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Definitely.

You need version 7.0 ROMs to use larger hard drives. I converted my A590 from the original 20Mb XT-IDE drive to a 4Gb SCSI drive. 10,000rpm can be a bit noisy though....:LOL:

zombie10k

Country
Philadelphia, PA
I installed the latest 7.0 roms in my A590 just recently. I had the original 20MB Western Digital XT drive. it's amazing how much noise it makes. Not just loud, but the sound of the heads going back and forth is very retro.. :)

I took it out and changed the jumper from XT to SCSI. I installed one of the SCSI -> IDE -> CF combo's with a 4GB Sandisk Ultra II drive and it works perfect.

It autoboots fine from my a500 w 3.1 kickstart. The next goal is to upgrade my A1000 with the djbase kickstart adapter, install 3.1 and have it autoboot from the A1000.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
v6.6 roms are supposedly good aswell for large hard drives.

I checked mine last night and they are 6.6 :)

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

They where released with either an XT IDE 20MB HD or else a SCSI 20MB.

The A590 can support both the long obsolete XT IDE standard (8bit - Not to be confused with modern IDE) or else SCSI.

Hi

i am searching info about the several configurations of Amiga 590 Hard disk. There was a 20MB model, but there was another configurations ?

thanks

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
IIRC, 6.6 ROM will allow you tu use an HD up to 1Gb, but not removable media (except tape backups).

Top Bottom