rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Since I finally grab enough funds :shhh: to do a boost on one of my Amigas I'll love to expand my humble A600.:D

So, does someone willing to part with a LVD A608? I only want the 2008 version, which can be selected as 0-1.5-4-5.5-8Mb.:nod:

The 1.0 version don't attract me.(n)

I know I am on the list for the next batch Zetr0 is making (for two pieces: one for me, another for a Brazilian mate), but my A600 deserves a Christmas gift.:mrgreen:

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
Pardon the ignorance, But what's an A608? Didn't see it listed on amiga.resource.cx/

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1037   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Rogerio, when you say you are next batch for Zetr0's A608 do you mean the next 10? I am in that batch and if you are not I am happy for you to take my place.

Steve.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
LamboJay it is creative numbering, it means 8 mb ram. But as far as I understand some versions have only 4 ... Well just be glad some people bother to create hardware for us. I'll be going the Individual accelerator route anyhow. But just a mem card is as well to negative, since using sram on an A600 slows the boot a lot.. So the a608 can be happy time, since to my knowledge no such large delay.

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
@rkauer, jvdbossc: Thanks for the info... I just bought an A600HD. Still waiting for it to arrive. Plan on turning it into an whdload machine and am considering upgrade options. Obviously an ACA630 is on the short list. I'll start a new thread about it when I get the machine and not hijack this one any more ;)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
@Jurgen: a PCMCIA RAM card will not slow the A600 down! In fact the RAM will boost the performance by 25 to 33%.

On the A1200 it's another story, as the memory is accessed in 16bit and the AGA machine is 32bit.

But if you want to use the PCMCIA to another type of card(s), 4Mb SRAM is a pain on the proverbial.

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Since I am (trying) to sell my a600 I am willing to part with my first batch LVD designed Zetr0ram a608.

pm sent. :cool:

MC680X0

Frozen
Rating - 98%
100   2   0
Country
Netherlands
Region
Friesland
...But just a mem card is as well to negative, since using sram on an A600 slows the boot a lot.. So the a608 can be happy time, since to my knowledge no such large delay.

You are wrong my friend. Only (PCMCIA) SRAM used on the A1200 slows
the system down. Actually, SRAM used on the A600 increases the speed a bit.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't get why you guy's say this, I had a SRAM 4MB card for years on an A600 it gives at least 5 seconds slow down on boot time. I even removed it when I used floppy disks because of that.

After that I don't know.. But boot time is important on amiga? Am I the only user who notices that it slows down the machine at boot Big time ?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Jurgen

With the PCMCIA port also being used for external hard drives or CD-ROM drives such as the Squirrel, the slow down in boot time you experienced is probably due to a device timeout on the SCSI device, as the A600 is seeking for a non-existent hard drive on the PCMCIA port.

Change the boot device away from the PCMCIA port and it should fix it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I don't get why you guy's say this, I had a SRAM 4MB card for years on an A600 it gives at least 5 seconds slow down on boot time. I even removed it when I used floppy disks because of that.

Besides the autoconfig of RAM on the PCMCIA (which takes a bit of time), there's nothing wrong with it.

After that I don't know.. But boot time is important on Amiga? Am I the only user who notices that it slows down the machine at boot Big time ?
No, even with this slow down on boot only, your Amiga will run faster after the boot.

So the delay is not important.:)

@T_Hairy_Bootson: Payment sent! Yay! I finally will enter the small club of expanded A600 owners!:)

Where I sign for?

Last edited:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)

Besides the autoconfig of RAM on the PCMCIA (which takes a bit of time), there's nothing wrong with it.

After that I don't know.. But boot time is important on Amiga? Am I the only user who notices that it slows down the machine at boot Big time ?
No, even with this slow down on boot only, your Amiga will run faster after the boot.

So the delay is not important.:)

@T_Hairy_Bootson: Payment sent! Yay! I finally will enter the small club of expanded A600 owners!:)

Where I sign for?

Rogerio,

Ok we are basically talking about the same thing then. The card I had it was very noticable. Therefore I'll go for the indivision 030 if I decide to keep the A600 on my desk.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Oh, forgot to mention that is three versions of the Vadim's (aka Lord Vader) card:

1- the 2007 version is indeed only 4 or 8Mb, pending on the number of RAM chips mounted and on the firmware the CPLD have (you can "flash" the 8Mb card to show only 4Mb).

Flashing a 4Mb-equipped card with 8Mb firmware is not recommended for obvious reasons...

This version also is a single plane board, which touches other chips inside the A600.

2- the 2008 version is a two-level card, where a CPU socket is used and from it several pins protrudes to hook it to the main board. It act like a riser.

This second version also have the capability to select the available RAM to the system:

-No RAM at all (useful for floppy games that refuses to run with FAST RAM;

-1.5Mb "slow RAM" (RAM on the ranger address space). Since this RAM is 0 wait-state, it is fast as normal FAST RAM;

-4Mb FAST (no clashes with the PCMCIA);

-4 + 1.5Mb, no clashes with PCMCIA;

-8Mb on the FAST RAM Zorro-2 address space. This amount of RAM will rule out the PCMCIA port for anything but wired LAN cards ( = ethernet).

3- A guy from Poland made a 9.5Mb board based on Vadim's design, but he never put it in commercial production. Only a pair of this cards where made. He offered me one of them several months ago. I (as the costume) didn't have enough $ to buy it.:banghead:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
This lovely card arrived 30 minutes ago!

I used the last 25 minutes to open the package.

George, you packed it to resist the most raged mailman and a nuclear war at the same time! So we call the package as "proof of nuclear postmen"!

Will install this little gem inside my A600 as soon as my hands stop to shake!

Feedback left & thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom