ajacocks

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Queenstown, Maryland
I've got a stock A3000, with a 25mHz '030. I'd like to add an accelerator, preferably with RAM on it. I'm in the USA, so price of shipping may be an issue, but I hope that something can be found.

I would also consider ZIP modules, for the A3000. I have 8mb, already, so I'd like to add 8mb more.

Thanks!

Edited by Merlin:
Removed address details for security reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Welcome to Amibay, Ajacocks!

Now, please read this old post who will tell you all you need to know about accelerating the A3000.

The things they say about the A3640 are valid for other 040 & 060 accelerators.

Just some guidance before you spend money in an accelerator that will not work in your machine.

ajacocks

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Queenstown, Maryland
rkauer,

Thanks much for the information/link! I was aware of a number of these issues, but not all. My A3000 has a Super Buster 11, because I use a Deneb Z3 USB controller (though I have yet to get Z3 DMA working, with it), but I do not know the revision of my DMAC or RAMSEY chips. I am using the internal SCSI controller, but I could switch to IDE, as I have, but do not currently use, a Buddha Flash IDE controller.

I don't know if this is the best place to discuss it, but am I wasting my time, upgrading the A3000, at all? I do have an A1200 with a Blizzard 1240 in it, but I am attached to the A3000, as it was the first Amiga that I ever owned. The form-factor also works well, as I have a VERY small office.

- Alex

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Yes, the A3000 is a tiny beast. I'm very fond of mine.:inlove:

Installing a proper accelerator and a video card in it is my consumer dream, but at it is I'm satisfied (for the moment).

The best upgrade for the 3k is a 3.1 ROM, then an accelerator with RAM, then a video card.

Hardly you'll see an A3000 with a RAMSEY07 / DMAC04 because the DMAC chip is very rare, and you know when you spend an absurd amount of money on a single chip.

I can't discuss prices here, just let you know the chip cost more than a pair of MiniMegiChip!:blink:

But most accelerators are more easy to make work in the A3000 than the A3640.

Also you can replace the PAL chips on the board for GAL replacements, which slightly upgrade the motherboard (they are faster chips) and at the same time make the mobo run cooler. I think that Doobrey is the guy you need to contact for those chips.

Also, another good good small upgrade is replace the SCSI controller chip (WD33C93) for a -08 version. No speed upgrade, but the machine's SCSI will not lock and will work reliably with removable units (ZIP, CD/DVD, scanners, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom