Accessing an old Syquest IDE drive

sa666666

Country
Canada
Region
Newfoundland
I've recently found an old Syquest drive and two 105MB cartridges. I'd like to somehow read the contents of these old disks, which I created many years ago. I think the filesystem was OFS or FFS, but I can't say for sure.

I have access to an A1200, so I can't really hook it up there. I also have access to various Linux, OSX and Windows machines, so that's another possibility.

Does anybody know where to get drivers for this device? It would be great to get this data back, and re-examine my stuff from almost 20 years ago.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
On the Amiga with a SCSI controller you need a SCSI Syquest. Maybe it is bootable hooked directly to the IDE channel on its own?

sa666666

Country
Canada
Region
Newfoundland
Forgot to add the the drive is IDE, and was used in an A4000 many years ago. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't bootable, but was used to store DPaint files and some word processing documents. That's mostly why I want to see what's on it; to look at artwork and text files from almost 20 years ago.

I tried plugging the drive into a Linux system, and the controller doesn't seem to 'see' it. The drive is spinning up correctly through, after a cart/disk is inserted. So I'm confident the drive is still working (and hopefully the carts themselves haven't degraded).

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Maybe you need to set it to master / slave on the jumpers for it and make sure it can be seen from the BIOS of the PC. Then, you could maybe run WINUAE to try and see it but before it will be able to - you will definitely need the drive to be recognised by the machine first.

Cheers

John

Top Bottom