Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I am looking for an Acorn Electron compatible tape player. Ideally I would like the Acorn branded unit, however, I would also be interested in any tape unit that works with the Electron.

Please let me know your price including shipping to Manchester, UK.

Thanks

retro_junkie

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
North East England
Re: Acorn Electron tape player wanted

I see you already have a free offer of a generic tape deck on STH but if you do want the official one, I would sell it for £8+P&P (It is pretty light so probably not much). Probably best to get the free one to check the Electrons work first though!

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Thanks.

I've not had chance to test the three Electrons I picked up on a TV yet, but one powers up and beeps (promising), one powers up with no sound (hmm...), and one is dead as a doornail.

The one with no sound has a socketed ULA that I've re-seated and it's made no difference, so I need to check the amplifier section out. The totally dead one has a good PSU but the ULA is soldered to the board; this needs more poking around with a multimeter to see if I can diagnose what's wrong. If the ULA has gone South, then it's a paperweight.

I have another Electron on the way from Fleabay so with luck, I should get one up and running from this little lot. It's not like it's cost a bundle so far anyway.

@ TheCorfiot

Any repair hints and tips from you would be gratefully received. I have the Electron Repair Guide already, but if you can steer me in the right direction, that would be cool.

retro_junkie

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
North East England

The one with no sound will probably be displaying a plain yellow/white/purple screen or a mix... it'll be a dodgy ULA (assuming it can't just be reseated/connections cleaned). Are you sure one has a soldered ULA? There are different types of clips etc around but I can't remember one being fully soldered before. Another easy swap (as well as the ULA) is the keyboard - they don't run without a keyboard attached and sometimes the ribbons break so it can be worth trying a known good keyboard.

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Thanks,

I'll try some of those ideas tomorrow. I'll photograph the one I think has the soldered ULA and you can tell me if it is or not, before I go breaking stuff.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Merlin

So sorry for not getting back to you my friend, I have been without Broadband since the 21st Sept..............But I'm back now :woot: .

We have spoken on the phone which I hope was some help, and I will be sending a package off to you in the next few days once I get up to the loft to get the last bit down.... :wink:

Best Wishes

TC :mrgreen:

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

There's lovely, isn't it? (y)

:laugh:

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Newsflash.....

Commander Jameson is alive and well and partying on down, inside my working Electron with Plus 1!! The original Elite game that TC sent to me loaded first time, from an ancient Bell & Howell tape player that I obtained from Irrelevant from Stairway to Hell!!

Deep Joy!! I am soooooo chuffed it's not funny!!

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Merlin said:
<Sniiiiip>
Deep Joy!! I am soooooo chuffed it's not funny!!

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oi! - No 'Arnljot-ing' allowed. I'd say get a "grip", but that might just add insult to injury. :laugh:

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Kin,

Well, we don't have a 'Mexican Wave' smilie, or I would have used that.... I found this in the AmiPedia:-

Arnljot-ing adj. To have Tourette's of the keyboard, where smilies are concerned; emoticon overload.

Is that what you meant? :laugh:

Now, bring on those space pirates...... :flamethrower: :twisted: Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1983!!

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I was just pushing for Arnljot winning the AmiBay Quote contest. Now I see you're taking things in a different direction entirely.

I'm not sure how this is going to pan out, :whistle:

All the same, I point everyone to the fact where "Arnjlot was rubbing it hard". :mrgreen:

So far as your views of party-ing in 1983 goes, nothing beats this imo for the AmiBay quote of 2009. (y)

Kin

retro_junkie

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
North East England

Not to be pedantic or anything but if it was 1983, you'd have to wait until next Christmas for Elite... sorry did I say not to be pedantic...?

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

It's a fair cop, Giv. 1984 it is, then.

Status