ACPI and USB ports running at High-Speed

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
How many of you have checked if the devices you plug into your USB ports are actually communicating in High-Speed mode (USB2 480Mb/s), rather than Full-Speed mode (USB1 12Mb/s)?

When connecting my Canon camera to a USB port this evening, and after the device was detected, Windows popped up the following message:

This device can perform faster - This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available click here.

However, all USB ports on this system are USB2, so that was a little confusing. And I knew the motherboard drivers were all correctly installed, and the enhanced USB hub entries were correct in device manager.

I decided to copy some images from the camera as a rough speed test, and it took 20 seconds to copy 19MB of images, so it definitely seemed to be running in the slower Full-Speed USB mode.

So I next went into device manager and looked to see which USB hub the Camera had been assigned/connected to. And indeed it was one of the standard ones and not an enhanced hub. Hmm...

So I rebooted and looked in the BIOS settings. Enhanced USB support was enabled, and everything else looked correct for the USB settings, so I rebooted and connected the camera again to double check it. Same results! ...

After a bit of Googling I found a few posts about this. Some mentioned things about motherboard and system drivers, or bad BIOS versions. However I then came across some quite old posts on a few different sites where people were mentioning ACPI and it needing to be enabled for USB ports to run in USB2 High-Speed mode.

So another trip into the BIOS, and as I already knew ACPI was enabled, and always has been. However I noticed ACPI 2.0 support was disabled.

A bit more searching and some people were commenting that ACPI 2.0 needed to be enabled for USB High-Speed mode to work. So I enabled it, and guess what. It now works! Plugging in the camera and it is correctly assigned to one of the enhanced USB hubs, and the same 19MB of images now copies from the camera to the PC in about 2 seconds.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

One quick final note. If you go into your BIOS and discover that ACPI is completely disabled, do not enable it unless you haven't yet installed your OS. If you installed any version of Windows with ACPI disabled, then enable it later, the OS will not boot and will instead blue screen. You need to reinstall Windows after enabling ACPI.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
One quick final note. If you go into your BIOS and discover that ACPI is completely disabled, do not enable it unless you haven't yet installed your OS. If you installed any version of Windows with ACPI disabled, then enable it later, the OS will not boot and will instead blue screen. You need to reinstall Windows after enabling ACPI.

Oh yes that's a real classic :LOL:

Other things that need doing first before the OS install is APIC mode =ON, and Plug & Play OS=NO, If installing NT based OS

TC :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
<snip>

Other things that need doing first before the OS install is APIC mode =ON, and Plug & Play OS=NO, If installing NT based OS

TC :)

With Plug & Play OS set to "No", changing the ACPI to On or Off should make no difference. ....Even if Bas did say APIC. :LOL:

Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

I would also strongly advise NOT doing this on certain Acer and Fujitsu laptops, as they will have real problems if you do. Some Acer Aspire laptops won't even install Windows XP correctly if ACPI is enabled.

Believe me, I've been there.......:blink::roll::(

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've also had issued with ACPI enabled on older systems and Windows crashing during installation.

But have any of you encountered this USB2 speed issue with ACPI 2.0 disabled?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
As mentioned earlier Harrison, 2 important Bios settings are:

Plug & Play OS = No
ACPI = On

This is so there are no issues with an NT based system Install.
If you were using win98 for example, you would set to Yes & Off.
Does USB2 work under Win98SE anyhow? :whistle:

If you can appreciate this, then you won't be trying to disable ACPI. Let the OS deal with it for the Bios control of ACPI being On & Plug & Play OS being No. ;)

Interestingly, not all Bios'es have the option to select different ACPI modes.

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Yeah, I know all that. What I'm asking is if anyone has encountered this issue where they are using an NT based OS, P&P is off, ACPI is on, but USB2 isn't working?

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Hmm, I wonder if this may be why I have issues when trying to load a legacy Windows 98 install on my P4. Or is Windows 98 just not compatible with P4 platforms?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hmm, I wonder if this may be why I have issues when trying to load a legacy Windows 98 install on my P4. Or is Windows 98 just not compatible with P4 platforms?

How much RAM is in there? Windows '98 needs some gentle persuasion to work with more than 512MB RAM and positively throws a wobbly if you try and give it more than 768MB.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Kin

I challenge you to install XP on an Acer Aspire 36xx series laptop with ACPI enabled, without falling foul of the power management problems on installing. It's widely reported on these machines; the battery charging goes off it's head if ACPI is enabled, it reports 10% charge and won't re-charge the battery.

Fact.

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
The problem on usb speed set to High or Fast sometimes relays on the cable used to conect the usb device.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That can be true. There are USB1 only cables that existed before USB2 was released. Much like Ethernet cables. However, cables bundled with any USB devices in the last few years should all be USB2 capable.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Even if Bas did say APIC. :LOL:

Kin

APIC mode is different Kinny, It is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller, which lifts the 16 IRQ limit on legacy systems.
Can be enabled & disabled & is there for compatibility with 9x OS's

This setting also needs to be configured before installing the OS to avoid BSOD's after

Sorry Mucka

Bas :p

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
That can be true. There are USB1 only cables that existed before USB2 was released. Much like Ethernet cables. However, cables bundled with any USB devices in the last few years should all be USB2 capable.

I've yet to have a USB 2.0 Controller / Device object to using USB1 Backplane socket cables ;)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I have one cable that came with my Creative Zen Xtra years ago that only allows USB1 speeds.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
I have one cable that came with my Creative Zen Xtra years ago that only allows USB1 speeds.

Well you are just damn unlucky there fella !!! :p

I probably wasn't very clear tbh mate, I meant those horrible backplane assemblies that sport 2 USB sockets leading to headers which connect to the Mobo, bear in mind these are usually quite short in length which is why you can get away with it.

TC :cool:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I thought you meant both. I've also never had an issue with those. I've got loads of them too, given away with every motherboard in the last few years. MSI motherboards always seem to come bundled with the most.

Although you can't beat Asus boards for the most things included with them.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Yeah, when i got my PowerMac, it has only 1.1 ports installed. Of course, I didn't know that so it was taking forever to backup my DVDs. Luckily I have a 3xUSB/2x FW400 card I stuck in there, Leopard detected and installed without issue. The transfer rate on my MDD is actually higher than my old P4 HT workstation i replaced it with, ODD

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
/....moonwalk this....

@ TC

No m8. We were talking about ACPI. :p

@ Merlin

That's half the problem with you Acer Fan Bois innit. - You go buy this kind of cr4p & then wonder why it's a biatch to set up. If you want a challenge, carry on buying budget systems. :LOL:

Kin

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
/....moonwalk this....

@ TC

No m8. We were talking about ACPI. :p

And I was talking about the APIC config being an important factor too. :p:p

@Merlin - Kinny's not wrong about Acer Laptops, I get calls from friends to say they have just board a new Laptop & it's so brilliant..etc. Then they mention it's an ACER and I have trouble getting back up from the floor due to Laughter :nod:

TC :LOL:

Top Bottom