Adding kickstart roms to early A3000 machines

RuneRider

A1000 Keeper of the Faith
Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I currently own an early model A3000 and it requires a Super-Kickstart disk to boot. I've not looked at the motherboard but have heard no sockets exist for roms. What is the best way to add kickstart roms?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I currently own an early model A3000 and it requires a Super-Kickstart disk to boot. I've not looked at the motherboard but have heard no sockets exist for roms. What is the best way to add kickstart roms?

My A3000 originally required a SuperKickstart disk, but the ROMs were still removeable (and have subsequently been replaced with a set of 3.1s). I'd definitely check inside, I'm not aware of any A3000s not having ROM chips. Some had weird adapters and such, but you should be able to drop-in replace the 1.4 ROMs with a set of 2.04 or 3.1 ones.

velourfog

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
RAM:
Adding kickstart roms to early A3000 machines

I have an old A3000 with 1.4 ROM tower. I just soft kick into SuperKickstart 3.1. I think you need to replace the tower with ROMs if you use an accelerator though.

Last edited:

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta

My A3000 originally required a SuperKickstart disk, but the ROMs were still removeable (and have subsequently been replaced with a set of 3.1s). I'd definitely check inside, I'm not aware of any A3000s not having ROM chips. Some had weird adapters and such, but you should be able to drop-in replace the 1.4 ROMs with a set of 2.04 or 3.1 ones.

Thanks, I'll take another look inside. I wouldn't care too much if I had the Superkickstart disk but I don't. There are two hard-drives and a screen asking whether to boot from either of the drives displays right away. Each says there is a different kickstart version and to boot from HDD or Superkickstart. Unfortunately the HDD options are ghosted. Do you know if this is normal or if the machine is altered?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Thanks, I'll take another look inside. I wouldn't care too much if I had the Superkickstart disk but I don't. There are two hard-drives and a screen asking whether to boot from either of the drives displays right away. Each says there is a different kickstart version and to boot from HDD or Superkickstart. Unfortunately the HDD options are ghosted. Do you know if this is normal or if the machine is altered?

If memory serves, the boot options for HDD become un-ghosted if there's a Superkickstart image on the hard disk.

SpeedGeek

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Wisconsin

The HDD options are ghosted because the SuperKickstart ROMs can't find the WB_1.3 and WB_2.x partitions. Either your HD partitions are corrupt or they were never installed when the HD was replaced.

You should be able to replace your SuperKickstart ROMs with A3000 Kickstart ROMs. You will save 512KB of Fast RAM by having Kickstart in ROM, have faster boot times, and if you ever want to use an 040+ accelerator you will need Kickstart in ROM. ;)

Last edited:

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I ordered a pair of Kickstart ROMs rather than muck about. I'm also going to replace the battery with a modern coin type. I can find no damage on the motherboard but don't want to take chances.

TjLaZer

Retro C= & /|\ addict
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
USA
Region
Tacoma, WA
All A3000's can take ROMs, some don't have the newer ROM slots, but have "developer" ROM slots that are not compatible with regular 27C200 ROMs (27C400) They require 27C220/2048 ROMs. If you have a ROM tower, you can install the regular ROMs on it.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
All A3000's can take ROMs, If you have a ROM tower, you can install the regular ROMs on it.

Thanks for the info. I do have a ROM Tower in the second 3000 machine I just got. I'm going to use the first one for spares.

eslapion

Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
I have a pair of KS 3.1 ROMs for A3000/A3000T for sale. They fit in socket U180 and U181. They are 27C400 pinout.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I have a pair of KS 3.1 ROMs for A3000/A3000T for sale. They fit in socket U180 and U181. They are 27C400 pinout.

Wish I'd heard earlier. I already have a set on the way. Thanks for the offer.

Top Bottom