Advice on extending keyboard controller for Lyra 2.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hello all,

I have a Lyra 2 keyboard interface, the one that snaps over the keyboard controller with a 44 pin PLCC socket (I think that's what it's called). But the bulk of that socket and its PCB when fitted, are too big to fit under my Fast ATA mkIII IDE controller.

I was wondering if the electronics gurus could advise whether I could extend the keyboard controller by using a low profile surface mount PLCC socket like this from Farnell:

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/6601-44-01-12-f6/socket-ic-plcc-smd-44way/dp/1103877

...and extending with some fine gauge wire, the few connections out to the Lyra 2 PCB located a few cm's away. I'm thinking I could solder the wires between the low profile socket directly onto the pins of the Lyra 2 socket, or does anyone make a dummy PLCC plug I could connect into?

Also, do I need to worry about current rating and the gauge of wire used? My PSU is a Be-Quiet microATX and can handle 22amps on the 5volt bus.

I'm ok with soldering and have some very basic electronics knowlegde.

I have attached some pics of the Lyra 2 for reference.

Thanks,
Ed.

Attachments

• L2_front.jpg
    L2_front.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • L2_back.jpg
    L2_back.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Prefer to use a pair of ROM sockets on the FAST ATA than messing with this piece of kit, mate.

Although the adaptor only needs five or six wires (namely reset, keyboard clock, keyboard data, Vcc & ground).

You can check the leads used and detach the socket from board and run the wires from the socket to a relocated place or buy another keyboard controller replacement (Amigakit is selling some).

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Thanks for the quick reply rkauer.

The fast ata has the ROM extenders already installed. I think I have to go with extending with wires. It's my fault I bought the Lyra 2 (from amiga kit) without research. Didn't know all these different HW companies were not working to standards :)

So I don't need to worry about wire size if I'm just moving the Lyra 2 a few inches/cm's right? Any idea if the socket I linked to will clip onto the chip ok?

Thanks,
Ed.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If you are skilled enough with a hot air solder station, my advice is take the socket away to the board and route the wires with shielded cable to the new location.

The board will work even if you do circles on the motherboard with the new shielded cable, lol.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
ok, thanks again my friend. I have just an ordinary solder station with temp control. Never heard of or seen a hot air solder station til I googled it just now :)

I'll have a go and see what happens...

Top Bottom