All I needed was to fit a new mains plug... yeah right trolololol

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Given I'm in Australia, I often fit the local 240v plugs rather than flaff about with fitting adapters to UK plugs, when then don't fit in power strips properly.

About a year ago when I did this, no problem, go to any hardware store, select the correct plug for thinner 3 conductor cable. No problem.
But the last two days, yeah days, I found things are more troublesome.

Seems some idiot decided to make a one size fits all plug, labeled as for 0.75mm² to 1.0mm² 3 conductor cable. Except it only grips properly on 8mm or larger cable, and all my stuff in 6.7mm. Only one company still making the plugs that fit the narrower cable, it's a local company too. No problem right, find a electrical wholesale shop that has it in stock on their website, go into the city and pay them a visit.

Couldn't find it on the shelves, the usual conversation of the shops don't have half the stuff the website does.:huh:
"Nah we don't have that one" checks computer "and none of our other shops do either" try the mob two streets over, even less likely they have it.":Doh:

The second shop didn't have it, but actually helped and were willing to order it in. Comes in 3 colours, white, black, clear, had trouble order the white, phone call to the company that makes this uber rare plug "oh we only have the clear".

So right now I have a order placed, to ship 2 plugs from Sydney, back to Adelaide where they no doubt made the :censored: things in the first place!
The only good news is the second shop the half the price compared to the first mob's website.
Why the :censored: is half the stuff I want not in :censored: stock.

Anyone else be hardcore trolled by retailers when trying to get something to basic it should be childsplay ?

Last edited:

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
Ummmm.....That is why they invented the Internet. :)

If I cannot find what I want local I often buy for elsewhere. And it comes to my door like Pizza, no need to go out!

Plus, although I live in the England, if I cannot find what I want in Britain, I buy online from sellers elsewhere in Europe or the US or China!

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
ever tried maplins? probably not in aus,but people here know what i mean...there useless and never have anything unless its ordered in.

staff are under trained,so good luck explaining what your looking for even when you give part numbers,lol
as soon as youve paid youll be asked if you need any batterys or screwdrivers on the way out,lol..like i would need more.

to be honest most retail electrical shops are going this way,better to get stuff online...

Last edited:

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
Maplins!!!!!!!!!! I'd need an entire forum to rant about them. Don't know what they stock, Don't care about the customers, And know less than my technophobic 83 year old father!

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
thing is, it wasnt always like that,years ago(i was very young at the time though,but really into electronics) maplins was quite good...expensive,but...ok
and the people in there actually used to have experienced staff

another place i "used" to frequent,was hrs...that was nice as well:) decades ago anyway...

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I recently made a trip to Michigan and stopped by the Micro Center store in Detroit. Now, that's a nice store! On the way back from Ft. Wayne, Indiana, I stopped in at the Fry's there. Not as nice as MC, but still pretty good.

And I just got back from Newbern, TN, and there ain't nothing out there! Lol!

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
thing is, it wasnt always like that,years ago(i was very young at the time though,but really into electronics) maplins was quite good...expensive,but...ok..
Oh yes, thirty years ago they were better than OK, they were very good. They were also, as you say, very expensive. But that was then and this is now. They were good over quarter of a century ago. Today they put "big profit" above "customer service", and now they are a shop to avoid.

But even back then I used to use a small independent store instead, because their prices were better. You don't get the small electronics stores (electronics at the component level, not finished items) today. That is not the fault of the Internet, they disappeared long before that became popular. I think people just gave up on "build it yourself" or "repair it yourself". Today they just want a finished item, and throw it away when it gets faulty.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
same thing happened to Radio Shack (and all other electronics retailers for that matter) here....

what happened was Computers and Electronics became disposable....economies of scale and moving of factories to SE Asia reducing labor and administrative costs to 1/10 of what they were here...

whereas it used to cost $2000 for a TV, or perhaps $100-500 to repair....it just costs $500 for a new TV... (hell, i can get a low-end 40" for $300)

I seem to recall it costing about $2000-3000 for a Compaq PII PC system around Christmas 1997.....the following January...everything literally cost half of what it did...

the internet was only just becoming a 'thing' here in 1997...

Last edited:

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
Forgot Radio Shack. Over here, back when I was at college in the early 80s, they owned a chain called Tandy. A friend and I used to go in at lunch times for a look round and a chat. They knew we could not afford to buy anything, but were still helpful and friendly.

Don't think Tandy exist any more. Heard a rumour years and years ago that Radio Shack were selling the chain and after that it disappeared.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Tandy?
Dixion?

Anymore shop that I dont know when they were in 80's?

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
Radio Shack carried mostly Tandy, Archer and Realistic stuff if i recall correctly...

what USED to be RS here has been 'The Source' for many years..they carry a limited supply of electronic parts and tools (soldering irons and screwdrivers mostly :LOL:) , but no where near what RS had in it's day...

Last edited:
Top Bottom