All this CF & SD Business

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
Greetings

Is there a definative guide to this procedure in relation to ALL the Amiga Models?

I'm going to get into some serious restoration projects concerning ALL of my Amigas and I'd like to install this modern solution for Harddrive support...

CF seems to be the choice from what I've gathered, but of course, this could be a very narrow view anyway...

I assume it's also easier in general to only do this to IDE machines? Or does a scso to ide then to CF etc work as well?

And, has anyone tried this kind of thing with an A590? The type that had XT connections as well...

And is all this governed also by a min Runnin OS... like AmigaOS3< for example...

But like I said, not trying to steer the help, any good guide I'll take as is!

Thanks for your help! (y)

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
I assume it's also easier in general to only do this to IDE machines? Or does a scso to ide then to CF etc work as well?
Yes, and it works really well too.

And is all this governed also by a min Runnin OS... like AmigaOS3< for example...
Not the CF card itself (as long as you stay under 2/4 GB), but the HD controller and the filesystem you choose may have certain requirements.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Their are tons of guides to help you install it but not what to choose or what works with what.

CF adapters work best on IDE 40 pins (A4000) or 44 pins (A1200).
Best CF cards are the Sandisk cards, but Transcend cards do well also.
Kingston is a mixed bag and other cards are sometimes a ????
This thread on EAB may help also http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25274

I use these, which are great because they can be fitted to 40 pins and 44 pins, they also have external power supply and voltage setup(3,3/5V).
http://www.vesalia.de/e_cfide4044adapter.htm
cfide4044adapter.jpg

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
One thing you'll find is the CF to IDE adapters don't work in a PC, as they don't behave as a removable drive, they don't assign a drive letter when non PC formatted CF cards are inserted. Its a pain in the :censored: as you need a USB CF adapter as well.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
One thing you'll find is the CF to IDE adapters don't work in a PC, as they don't behave as a removable drive, they don't assign a drive letter when non PC formatted CF cards are inserted. Its a pain in the :censored: as you need a USB CF adapter as well.

A good solution to this is to get a card reader for your PC, It connects via a USB pin out on the motherboard and can read lots of different types of cards including CF. With this you can simply pop your CF card into the slot on the card reader, transfer files, then slip it back into the adaptor and pop it into the amiga.

They are availible external or internal varients and the internal ones sit in the case in one of the floppy bays.

Heres a pic of an internal one which even has audio connections...

62-in-1-card-reader-hub.jpg

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland

Just get a Sandisk Imagemate or as described above an internal reader, these usually should sell around 20 euro's and most of them work perfect, at least my Sandisk Imagemate reads everything, CF, SD, MMC, Memory stick, even the Micro cards inserted in adapters.

Last edited:

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire

I do not think the interface does any assigning of drive letters, it is just a passthrough with some buffering as cf cards support ide style interfacing. The problem is that the OS does not support the filing system. I am guessing that WinUAE should be able to see such drives just as they can see Amiga formatted IDE hard disks. You can use WinUAE to pass files to the PC hard disk.

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
Their are tons of guides to help you install it but not what to choose or what works with what.

If you get a right angle one you can just plug it straight into the mb with no cable.

P1000533.jpg

Unless you need a significantly larger than 4gb hard drive, I'd recommend a CF hard drive myself

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland

If you get a right angle one you can just plug it straight into the mb with no cable.

P1000533.jpg

Unless you need a significantly larger than 4gb hard drive, I'd recommend a CF hard drive myself

Whatever you prefer ha ;)
I like the Delock ones cause I can hook these up also to a FastATA controller if these become availble again.

Top Bottom