RetroNinja

Country
Las Vegas
Region
NV USA
well wrapped in shipping tape - check
tape covers a box that is oversized for the item - check
excessive bubble wrap around item - check
final wrap of static cling on a static sensitive item - check, no wait, what?

yes, yes, the likely hood of it actual zapping the chips is unlikely but it is still a sigh+head shake to me

static ram.jpg

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't realise and think they are doing a good job, and lets not forget, sadly some don't care about the risks with esd. :(

DjCook

8 Bit Dreams
Blogger
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
Nope,
Too slow to be used in Amiga.... :rolleyes:
You'll get weird errors: will look like it works, but it'll get some lockups here and there...

RetroNinja

Country
Las Vegas
Region
NV USA
Nope,
Too slow to be used in Amiga.... :rolleyes:
You'll get weird errors: will look like it works, but it'll get some lockups here and there...
Ah, mainly I buy these to use as upgrades to A2091 and RAM cards.

Also, You bastards! There goes my evening, now I'm double checking waayyy too many things
  • the A2091 Manual specs say minimum is 120ns for their 4256 chips
  • on my A500 (rev 6 mobo) I replaced the (4) 4256 chips rated at 70ns with (8) socketed 80ns chips and haven't seen any issues (yet!)
  • one of my A500 rev5 mobos uses (16) 1256 chips rated at 150ns; can you compare speed if the chips are that different though? > I would think not
  • I can't find it right now but I could swear I had a Supra RAM card that I upgraded with 4256 80ns chips because it matched the current installed ones

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
well wrapped in shipping tape - check
tape covers a box that is oversized for the item - check
excessive bubble wrap around item - check
final wrap of static cling on a static sensitive item - check, no wait, what?

yes, yes, the likely hood of it actual zapping the chips is unlikely but it is still a sigh+head shake to me

View attachment 2469724
Typical Chinese supplier packing...

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
Actually, that's pretty good packaging for a Chinese supplier. Definitely seen much worse examples in my time.

qz3fwd

Country
United States
Region
Michigan
I have noticed Chinese sellers don’t actually use cardboard boxes. They use gobs of wrapping material and a shitload of packing tape.

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
I have noticed Chinese sellers don’t actually use cardboard boxes. They use gobs of wrapping material and a shitload of packing tape.
Often true, but not always. They do boxes sometimes completely wrapped in yellow tape. Then non-esd bobble wrap, and non-esd styrofoam and cling film for DIPs or anything with leads.

Top Bottom