Am I crazy?

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Am I crazy for thinking all this CF hard drive business is a bit dull?

I hate noisey hard drives as much as the next guy but I 'lurve' The faint whirring sound in the backround as you turn on an A1200. Without it seems not right really and when growing up with this faint sound, once it's gone you soon realize it.

Am I alone of this? Should I seek medical help? :blink:

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
I'm a fan of HD's (and fans) too ;)
Teh computah needs to be loud so I could hear if it's still working or the power went down. :LOL:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I know when my PC isn't on; the house and street lights of the whole street are too bright.... :LOL:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't trust a cf card for daily use, the are slow in pc's, and I am quite convinced that some people will run in problems sooner or later... (always stressing the same cf card on the same place)

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I'm a fan of HD's (and fans) too ;)
Teh computah needs to be loud so I could hear if it's still working or the power went down. :LOL:
YESS! i'm not alone! :D

I know when my PC isn't on; the house and street lights of the whole street are too bright.... :LOL:
Oh so your town also dims whenever you use something that requires any sort of power? Happens when I use the shower. :roll:

@ jvdboosc, I do keep hearing that there's a read / write limit on this CF cards but I have yet to know someone who has gotten to that point yet.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am not technical enough, but in my Nikon D300 wich still uses CF because off proff nature, they NEED a format once in a while, or they act up strange..

Muzer

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Most likely to be the camera rather than the card itself.

I agree with the OP - hard drives spinning is nice :D

So are floppy noises (apart from annoying clicking ;)), but I just about manage to live without those...

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It's not only my camera, all Nikons modells are affected in my club.. Even some other brands to.. I think a format remaps stuff...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Oh so your town also dims whenever you use something that requires any sort of power? Happens when I use the shower. :roll:

Nope; you haven't seen my PC.........:twisted:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I still use a hard disk in my miggies. I'm also a firm believer in the floppy drive. That grinding sound is so Amiga for me. :)

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I am not technical enough, but in my Nikon D300 wich still uses CF because off proff nature, they NEED a format once in a while, or they act up strange..
Touch wood my Canon PowerShot G3 has been perfect so far.

As for Merlin's PC. . . :unsure:

That grinding sound is so Amiga for me. :)
I hope that isn't a youthanism. :LOL:

I agree though, I still think even on Core i7 PeeCees, a 3.5 bay should have a floppy drive. :ROTFLOL2: A PeeCee isn't a full PC without an A: directory.
And yes that sound is etched into my brain and I can live with that. :D

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
I loved my old Seagate HD...that subdued beep followed by a satisfying spin-up whirr. Better than the awful sound of a headcrash i experienced while benchtesting a second hand Western Digital that someone had dropped (wince):eek:, slightly more spectacular than a zip drive click of death.

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Have to admit I'm a sucker for that old HD boot up sound and background noise.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Il have to boot up my original Seagate 85Mb found in the 1200 my Dad bought in 1993. It makes some very odd clicks and boining noises totally randomly. Hard to discribe the 2nd sound...

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Il have to boot up my original Seagate 85Mb found in the 1200 my Dad bought in 1993. It makes some very odd clicks and boining noises totally randomly. Hard to discribe the 2nd sound...

Those sounds are common on a dying HD. Backup any possible valuable data and bin it.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
@rkauer

Good advice, but pretty close to heresy in a thread like this -:LOL:

Countraven

Country
GREECE
I still use a hard disk in my miggies. I'm also a firm believer in the floppy drive. That grinding sound is so Amiga for me.

+1

I agree though, I still think even on Core i7 PeeCees, a 3.5 bay should have a floppy drive. :ROTFLOL2: A PeeCee isn't a full PC without an A: directory.
And yes that sound is etched into my brain and I can live with that. :-D

+1

Well I am addicted to the sound of my Amiga 12030 hard disk. It is so characteristic and I would not change it for anything hahah! I am also addicted to the yellow led's twinkling as the hard disk boots. This is in all my Amigas.

As I usually left an Amiga open -usually to run my bot on IRC- I am very very used to the tick of the floppy drive, it helps me to sleep after all!

Plus nothing van be compared of the sound of a floppy disk loading a game in the Amiga. If you get used to it you would realize that there are specific sounds in specific moments for example during Turrican 1 loading!

Well all these stuff that I have just posted is a big answer to the thread's quesiton:: You may be crazy but for sure you are not alone, we are many buzzing around!

As far as the CF card as I work with them only on my Amiga 600 through a PCMCIA 2 CF adapter. I do not have a much working experience about this kind of stuff. But I guess it is a good idea to use em as an additional storing equipment and not as your main hard disk.

That is all :)

Chris

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I'm going against the grain a little here, whilst I quite like the satisfying click of the floppy and the 'comfort blanket' whirr of a HDD quietly chuntering along in the background my 600 is totally silent, and fast.
It seems spooky at first, but with the speed of it booting and it's general operation, with only the flicker of the LEDs to tell you that it's working is unlike any other computing experience. :)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Am I crazy for thinking all this CF hard drive business is a bit dull?

I hate noisey hard drives as much as the next guy but I 'lurve' The faint whirring sound in the backround as you turn on an A1200. Without it seems not right really and when growing up with this faint sound, once it's gone you soon realize it.

Am I alone of this? Should I seek medical help? :blink:

yes

Top Bottom