AmiBay charter / AmiBay Constitution

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I'm loath to open a new thread, but the four thread currently open on the topic will not do, as they are dedicated to other concerns/aspects of this "AmiBaY Gate" :)

First off, lets hear it then. The cat is out of the bag. What's the constitution like, or as I prefere "Charter" that should govern this community.

Perhaps if we can have an adult and civilized discussion on this, the other issues at hand can have some peace and quiet to be resolved behind closed doors as they should.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I would love to help.

I have some work in this area already (strangely enough)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
This'll probably get me banned, but, I think we need a petition to either 1) reinstate Zetr0 (reverse the descicions to out him) or 2) see these Constitutions (both Zetr0's proposal and the other proposal from the admin team) :readit:

I always thought AmiBay was a community forum, but I sense a lack of 'community' here today!

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
I'll go one step further Woody and openly state the following:

I cast a vote of No Confidence in the current members of Amidev and Ami MegaMod groups.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

I cast a vote of No Confidence in the current members of Amidev and Ami MegaMod groups.

Well, I'm hoping things can be resolved before anything like that happens. I'm, what I would consider 'friends' with all the people involved, so in a difficult position with my opinions here. However, I do think that the decision to out Zetr0 was a bad one.

However, if that needs to happen, I will will be signing that petition!

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I thought of this a few hours ago though was afraid to post the idea of a petition (partly because of the moderation, partly because I get the feeling the higher powers rarely take note of peoples opinions).

Though count me in anyway if it goes ahead.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
YES!

Please do. Debate constitutions. Tell us what you think it should be.

For me, there are two golden principles.
1. The staff should be elected by the members.
2. The staff should make decisions democratically.

There's loads of scope for how that should be implemented, but for me, that's a bare minimum of what a constitution should cover.

I promise that there'll be no censorship of people's ideas, and nobody will be kicked for their opinions. That really isn't what's happening here today.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Andy

I do welcome this response, as I am sure as others, could you post the original constitution so others can work from it.

I would but that would likely be a breach of etiquette

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
YES!

Please do. Debate constitutions. Tell us what you think it should be.

For me, there are two golden principles.
1. The staff should be elected by the members.
2. The staff should make decisions democratically.

There's loads of scope for how that should be implemented, but for me, that's a bare minimum of what a constitution should cover.

I promise that there'll be no censorship of people's ideas, and nobody will be kicked for their opinions. That really isn't what's happening here today.

Here's my opinion.

Attachments

• motivatorca1b9a25391e88d8895b540bc03dc83954cb2fc3.jpg
    motivatorca1b9a25391e88d8895b540bc03dc83954cb2fc3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo

guys, though I truly understand your feelings, something like that would only result in a division, which would not benefit anyone.

let's try to keep it together and understand each other. I suggest everyone who has posted more than two posts in these threads to go and drink some ale and cool off. Tomorrow will be a better day for sure, and maybe we will do a better job a understanding each other then and get over this situation.(y)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
LMFAO @ blank.

Good one. (y)

P.s. "Dodn't"?

Opps! hehehe - corrected.

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

guys, though I truly understand your feelings, something like that would only result in a division, which would not benefit anyone.

The division is already there - Zetr0 got shafted - end of

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
OK, I tried not to comment on this matter although my mind was made in 2 seconds after reading the current events.
I (like imnogeek and rkauer) cannot be a part of Amibay's moderation team after what happened. I am shocked and surprised about my fellow megamods/devs whose opinions I always valued highly in the past, but I cannot really justify what happened today.
Zetr0 has my full support, what was done was unfair and simply unthinkable.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
So how many moderators does that leave? (Serious question)

This talk of a vote of no confidence etc is simply pouring oil on troubled waters: I would strongly recommend not going down that route. At the end of the day, us (the users) need to understand that it costs money to run amibay and also there are legal liabilities involved.

Much as I think it's very sad, I do think we (the community) is in danger of doing the team a great disservice.

Voice complaints, but let's keep it civil and let's try to address the situation in a positive manner.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
People.

I understand that we're all upset today.

And like everyone else here I'd love to see Keith reinstated.

But to ask for the other mods to be kicked seems over the top to me. It's not mending, it's just shifting the crap around.

Like I posted it in the other thread, I have full confidence in Zetr0 and Keith too.

I also have full confidence in Dave(the one with the mask), Dave H (the other masked one), Andy (where the monkeys head is showing, which is funnier) and TC (sorry, I can't remember ur name atm).

But I'm dissapointed in Merlin, Harrison, AndyLandy and TheCorifot and their collective efforts which has landed us here today.

That being said.

First lets remember that they are friends of ours too. Just like Keith, and I don't believe them to want us anything evil or nefarious.

And also they are human, like Keith. So they have developed a bad personal relation. And then they have faulted, and forgotten that they were discussing a case, and let it be about a person instead.

That is human, and it can happen. Heck it happens all the time, there are plenty of workplaces where coworkers can't stand eachother, and still they find a way to work together, because they argue the case and not eachother.

Even in larger groups of friends there are people who can't stand eachother. And now we're talking group dynamics like we have at places like AmiBaY and greater extended circle of friends like coworkers or parents etc.

Still there we manage to behave like adults and get along when we meet up. Perhaps we fail our own standards once in a while and gossip behind eachothers back, but we don't bring our laundry into the extended circle of friends - because we know that it'll do more harm than good.

This was the mistake as I see it that happened today.

Keith and the rest of the aministrators team had a personal difference. It got in the way of things, and now we're here now.

Does it mean that the mods are so incompetent that we have to throw them?

I don't think so.

What should be done with Keiths position on the AmiBaY staff?

I really don't know, personally I'd like to see him back. But if the untrust and animosity run too deep, then I'd like the second best thing. That they atleast act like adult, talk it over among themselves (Keith, Dave, Dave H, Andy and TheCorifor(sorry, still don't remember ur name)) and figure out what to do. Perhaps work to gether for a while until a new charter is in place?

I really don't know that part.

But what I know is that it'll be too easy to take up pitch forks and scream for blood. It won't do anything to keep this community a friendly place, it'll just make new people angry who sympathise with the remaining admins.

Also one last thing, either way this goes I've gotta repeat myself. The Admins owe Keith an apology, the way he was ousted today was not cool and those screaming for blood. Chill?:) Let's see if cooler heads can prevail.

Top Bottom